360° VR video

Discuss technical features of Limit Theory and the LT Engine

360° VR video

Postby davdav » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:12 am

I just bough a google cardboard like helmet.
I just have a question : will it be possible to produce 360° VR compatible video with LT to import in a smartphone ?
davdav
Commander
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:42 am
Location: FR

Re: 360° VR video

Postby Gazz » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:35 am

Wouldn't you need 2 smartphones to play such a VR video?
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
User avatar
Gazz
Moderator
 
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 am
Location: In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.

Re: 360° VR video

Postby davdav » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:54 am

Gazz wrote:Wouldn't you need 2 smartphones to play such a VR video?

For 3D you need 2 pictures, the smartphone screen is splitted.
For VR, you need an ultra FOV picture.
davdav
Commander
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:42 am
Location: FR

Re: 360° VR video

Postby Gazz » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:08 am

I still cant imagine sitting there, holding a phone in front of my eyes.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
User avatar
Gazz
Moderator
 
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 am
Location: In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.

Re: 360° VR video

Postby Cha0zz » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:31 am

davdav wrote:
Gazz wrote:Wouldn't you need 2 smartphones to play such a VR video?

For 3D you need 2 pictures, the smartphone screen is splitted.
For VR, you need an ultra FOV picture.

Errr, so you want to look at a deformed image on a small screen?

I think what Gazz means is using 2 or more phones to stretch one video across so you don't have a warped image?
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Image
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz
User avatar
Cha0zz
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Belgium

Re: 360° VR video

Postby Dinosawer » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:45 am

For those confused, he's talking about this: https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
User avatar
Dinosawer
Admiral
 
Posts: 5467
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:08 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: 360° VR video

Postby davdav » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:19 am

Dinosawer wrote:For those confused, he's talking about this: https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/


Yes, thanks.
I tried this application :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lercoaster

But it's far to be as beautiful as LT...
davdav
Commander
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:42 am
Location: FR

Re: 360° VR video

Postby Gazz » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:12 am

Cha0zz wrote:I think what Gazz means is using 2 or more phones to stretch one video across so you don't have a warped image?

No, he said VR.
For true 3D you'd have to hold one phone in front of each eye and be very careful to align them properly.
Probably need to wear special glasses to hold 2 phones instead of lenses.

Possible, I suppose, but I doubt it will be used widely.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
User avatar
Gazz
Moderator
 
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 am
Location: In your brains. Thinking your thoughts.

Re: 360° VR video

Postby DWMagus » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:34 am

Gazz wrote:
Cha0zz wrote:I think what Gazz means is using 2 or more phones to stretch one video across so you don't have a warped image?

No, he said VR.
For true 3D you'd have to hold one phone in front of each eye and be very careful to align them properly.
Probably need to wear special glasses to hold 2 phones instead of lenses.

Possible, I suppose, but I doubt it will be used widely.


Maybe I'm missing where you're coming from, but you still get 3D in the same way you'd get it with Oculus. How is this any different? Two phones = two screens, but if you split the screen in two and separate what each eye can see, it's the same thing.
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
User avatar
DWMagus
Moderator
 
Posts: 5066
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:25 pm
Location: Denver, CO, United States

Re: 360° VR video

Postby davdav » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:43 am

davdav
Commander
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:42 am
Location: FR

Re: 360° VR video

Postby davdav » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:53 pm

I just watched the Limit Theory Development Update #21 with android app "CMOAR VR cinema", and it's great. I'm sad it's not a 3D video !
davdav
Commander
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:42 am
Location: FR


Return to Technical



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests