Return to “Technical”

Re: Zero Player Mode

Sounds like corn flakes is talking about a system similar to Star Ruler which worked remarkably well save for the fact that when your improvement rate is 40% for every level without any sense of appropriate degradation in potency the numbers got a bit crazy after mere hours of playing. As much as infinite scaling of research is awesome to me when it is presented without a control system to stop things getting crazy then you have the idle game effect of someone sinking all their research into some weapon that started out doing 100 damage and after a few days of game play can one shot everything.

So perhaps a way to curb that would be to encourage diversity by creating a failure chance that increases if you focus too heavily on one item/subject/field. Coupled with the need to also improve your research output that should mitigate crazy scaling.

Do we actually know if research is currently infinite? I don't remember hearing about research since early update videos.

I think if it's done right it would be not only immensely enjoyable when you just want to sit there and take it all in. Plus the benefit of concentrating on aspects one is really drawn to and leave some tasks with priorities but automated whilst you concentrate on those would be fantastic.

Also, my wife asks me to do things and the phone has an annoying habit of ringing so it would be very useful !

And thanks to the acronym 'ZPM', I will forever think of Stargate whenever I go through this thread. :ghost: :twisted:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

You're all mistaken! :o :crazy: ;)
a 'zero-player game' is called a SIMULATION. In this case, The point of doing a 'LT simulation' would be to
  1. Kill time in a stupid, but possibly uplifting and mentally reinvigorating way :thumbup:
  2. Figure out how well 1 or more algorithms (eg. AIs) are handling the conditions set by Josh and/or the player. Meaning, you try to figure out what strategies the AI are coming up with, so you can develop new counter-strategies. But you'll miss out on how AI responds to YOUR strategies, so this is futile... PLAY THE GAME! :roll: :twisted:
I agree to you being allowed to disagree! :)

TGS wrote:Sounds like corn flakes is talking about a system similar to Star Ruler which worked remarkably well save for the fact that when your improvement rate is 40% for every level without any sense of appropriate degradation in potency the numbers got a bit crazy after mere hours of playing. As much as infinite scaling of research is awesome to me when it is presented without a control system to stop things getting crazy then you have the idle game effect of someone sinking all their research into some weapon that started out doing 100 damage and after a few days of game play can one shot everything.

So perhaps a way to curb that would be to encourage diversity by creating a failure chance that increases if you focus too heavily on one item/subject/field. Coupled with the need to also improve your research output that should mitigate crazy scaling.

Do we actually know if research is currently infinite? I don't remember hearing about research since early update videos.
the way I understand how current researching works is that it doesn't flat out improve your item that your researching, but changes it. For example if you researched a Rail gun then it might turn into a rail gun that had a longer reload time but more damage. So that way as you research things they become more specialized. however I might be wrong, and i am sure that someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
Scytale wrote: Look, I know people suck. That's the whole point! My question is, are you going to be as horrible as the mob, or are you going to work to be better?

Coming from my Crusader Kings 2 games, what i'd really like in a zero-player mode is the ability to change the rules of the game without making any of the decisions. I'd like to not only peek, but tweak the brains, bank accounts, assets, allegiances, etc of the AI. Let the game do as it will, but when i turn the head of a vast empire into stalin with his lovely purges, I just want to see what happens.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now