Return to “Technical”

Re: Modding Without Using LTSL?

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure LTSL will be the only modding support. This doesn't mean that other modding isn't available, only thing is that you'd be out on your own for that.

Also, welcome to the forums! :wave:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

someSortOfProgrammer wrote:While I am a huge fan of having a custom scripting language for the engine and modding, will there be any support for modding using C/C++, just curious.
No, there wouldn't be any support for those languages. Pretty much all of Josh's developer API is written in LTSL, so all the functions and templates and things you'd need for manipulating objects in-engine would be written in that. Honestly, even if C(++) were supported, LTSL would probably be the better option just because it's streamlined for changing the rules and procedures specific to Limit Theory.

And at any rate, if you're fluently familiar with any programming language, learning another one is far easier than learning the first.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

The challenge in modding is usually finding out how you want to change things, breaking it down into scriptable steps/elements, and finding the right hooks/calls/commands to get things to actually work that way.

The language itself is pretty much like every other language. Math with fancy trappings. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Dinosawer wrote: Network access, reading of obscure filetypes (for 3d models or something), multithreading, ...
already in the game, im pretty sure you can build an interpreter in LTSL too, would require ripping apart the engine.
Linky?
Yes, let's write a C++ interpreter for a language that is being interpreted in C++ :lol:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

DigitalDuck wrote:That's a surprisingly concise and accurate description of scripting. :clap:
I'm good at abstraction. =)

It really helps with modding because sometimes what you want to achieve is not what you think you want to achieve.

The X3 MARS script would be an example of that, too.
My initial idea was to get the ship's turrets to aim better, not hitting empty space all the time.
The actual lead computation and aiming is hardcoded, though. That didn't keep me from trying to fake it by having turrets fire at fake targets at a position where I suspected the real target to end up.
Didn't really work out with integer math, script latency, and rather erratic target courses.

The end result was... a script that evaluated the movements of a target, determining how much it turned during the last second, how large the lead angle would be, the bullets' time to impact... (in broad strokes)

So what started as an attempt at better aiming turned out to be better target selection and prioritisation.
With a single enemy, the script does very little. With 10 or 15 enemies it's racking up the kills because there is always a good target on a straight course. In a mass battle and installed on a capital ship it's insane.

In an abstract way it's still the same thing. Only the details changed radically.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Not strictly on-topic (you know me by now) but I'm really hoping that there won't be much modding necessary with or without LTSL when LT goes on sale. I am well aware it won't be feature complete on release. While some of you see the project as an engine to do something else with I suspect to many of us it is a game first and foremost. :D

I don't want to let Josh off the hook by allowing him to fall into the way of thinking that someone else will come along and do any extra work required. I want to play the official authorised Josh Parnell version of the game before exploring other options. I'd even be prepared to pay for official DLC if the coding warrior comes up with some brilliant new ideas that he would like to implement in the vanilla version of the game. :D

:shifty: Josh Parnell Official Cockpits DLC would see me reaching for my credit card in the twinkling of an eye. :thumbup:

Online Now