Return to “Technical”

Re: @Josh, regarding mathematical knowledge

Hmm... Quantify Stephen Wolfram's ego, divide by the number of site licenses sold, and... Oh dear, my calculator seems to have collapsed under the weight of Wolfram's sense of smug self-satisfaction.

Thankfully, due to the magic of site licensing, we didn't have to buy our own copies. Maple, on the other hand...
Chan.JENI
You’ve found our frequency,
Now check out our data mine!

Jafo Entertainment & News, Inc.
Offices on major planets soon to be abandoned in favor of orbital facilities with better defenses.

Dinosawer wrote::lol: Well, it's economical recession so our university doesn't have money for that kind of expenses...
Also, our professors think that if we want to calculate something complicated, we should program it in python. (I agree with that) ;)
Assuming you're talking about wolfram mathematica...

Check Athena Dinosawer, it has wolfram mathematica 10

:P
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Dinosawer wrote:Also, our professors think that if we want to calculate something complicated, we should program it in python. (I agree with that) ;)
Real physicists use Fortran. *cough*
Chan.JENI

Offices on major planets soon to be abandoned in favor of orbital facilities with better defenses.

Cha0zz wrote:
Dinosawer wrote: Hold on, they have the budget for a mathematica license that we don't use but not for paying professors? :evil:
:/

I don't even know if half of the apps on Athena is used, only things I've used is something to draw molecules (chembiodraw) and microsoft office.
The only non-free application I've ever used is....um...some kind of crystallography program we used 1 practice lesson? All the rest was free :ghost:
Kichae Chandramani wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:Also, our professors think that if we want to calculate something complicated, we should program it in python. (I agree with that) ;)
Real physicists use Fortran. *cough*
Not anymore :P C++ and Python are all the rage now, which explains why the only programming language we officially learn (as opposed to having to figure it out on ourselves) is Java.
Wait. :eh:

(I have already compiled a Fortran program, does that count?)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote: Not anymore :P C++ and Python are all the rage now, which explains why the only programming language we officially learn (as opposed to having to figure it out on ourselves) is Java.
Wait. :eh:

(I have already compiled a Fortran program, does that count?)
Yup, Java was the only language I had to learn in undergrad, too. From the comp sci department. We never actually used it. The thing is, though, that in sciences that write their own programs (so... physics, and some branches of engineering), no one ports code. I've worked with profs who still use code they wrote in the 60s and 70s. We're talking research grade code that's written in COBOL and FORTRAN 77. Hell, I had profs that still actively wrote code in FORTRAN 77!

And those languages still have a lot of momentum! I did my masters research using software written in Fortran 90, and so I had to learn Fortran 90 (and 95/2003) in order to modify and extend the code. My supervisor did all of his data visualization in IDL. Because reasons. He put up a bit of a stink when those of us in his research group started doing our visualization in python, because he wouldn't be able to help us if things didn't work!
Chan.JENI

Online Now