Return to “Technical”

Question for the future mod developers

Hello,

before you judge me please consider that my knowledge of programming is very limited.

With this migthy LT-SriptLanguage(?), is it possible to write a mod that allows the creation of story-line-missions and sharing those story-elements with the community.

Because of the random nature of the game those mission would have to be of course very relative. So they can be implemented to basically every universe version and always take place in the players vicinity.
Re: Question for the future mod developers

Rahil wrote:With this migthy LT-SriptLanguage(?), is it possible to write a mod that allows the creation of story-line-missions and sharing those story-elements with the community.
I don't imagine why not. Although, I don't think you would be able to restrict people from doing other tasks while the mission is in progress (it'd be like an RPG, you could go and visit heaps of other systems, you're won't be "locked"/"restricted" to certain systems so to speak).
"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time." —Tom Cargill

Daniel wrote:
Rahil wrote:With this migthy LT-SriptLanguage(?), is it possible to write a mod that allows the creation of story-line-missions and sharing those story-elements with the community.
I don't imagine why not. Although, I don't think you would be able to restrict people from doing other tasks while the mission is in progress (it'd be like an RPG, you could go and visit heaps of other systems, you're won't be "locked"/"restricted" to certain systems so to speak).
Why wouldn't it be possible to lock a player to a (set of) system(s)? :think:
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.

In magenta we trust

This is one mod I'd actually like to tackle. Having storyline-driven missions to give me my post-freespace fix would be epic, especially in Josh's engine.

Rahil, in answer to your question, even if that feature isn't available out of the box, you can rest assured that there will be some modders wanting to take it on. :thumbup:

Also, welcome to the forums! :wave:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
DWMagus wrote:freespace fix
now i want to make a freespace 3 mod :shock:
If I knew the story from the original writer I would. But there's been so many third-party 'Freespace 3' mods that except for an official one, it would feel too gimmicky and fan-ish. :(

I would still love to see epics mods of the same style though.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote: If I knew the story from the original writer I would. But there's been so many third-party 'Freespace 3' mods that except for an official one, it would feel too gimmicky and fan-ish. :(

I would still love to see epics mods of the same style though.

well, this time we could make a real war out of it, where the player works himself up in the ranks, starting as a lowly fighter pilot and gets to command the colossus at the end :ghost:

but yeah, something that approaches the epicness would suffice :ghost:

Online Now