Return to “Technical”

Re: Imaginary Alphabets

Just for fun:
TheJuggler wrote:According to wikipedia, the Yupik word "tuntussuqatarniksaitengqiggtuq" means "He had not yet said again that he was going to hunt rereindeer."
Well, of course he'd have to say it again; he's going to hunt rereindeer.

;)
DigitalDuck wrote: English has (well, is supposed to have) a similar thing, where loanwords are written in italics, especially Latin. If you're writing a professional publication, citing Bird et al., mentioning something done on an ad hoc basis, referring to a priori knowledge, et cetera should all be italicised.
Foreign (to English) words ("frisson"), legal terms ("habeas corpus"), and academic phrases ("passim") are still italicized by professionals, but some of that tends to relax over time for words that enter common usage. For example, we usually don't italicize the contraction of et cetera down to "etc." Foreign loanwords in particular eventually are written plainly; depending on the publication, italicizing loanwords can appear fussy or needlessly pedantic.

Also, it's sort of funny to note that we're talking about writing Latinate words in "italics." ;)

Flatfingers wrote:Foreign (to English) words ("frisson"), legal terms ("habeas corpus"), and academic phrases ("passim") are still italicized by professionals, but some of that tends to relax over time for words that enter common usage. For example, we usually don't italicize the contraction of et cetera down to "etc." Foreign loanwords in particular eventually are written plainly; depending on the publication, italicizing loanwords can appear fussy or needlessly pedantic.
Yes, but my point was that's roughly how katakana works in Japanese. :mrgreen:
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

That reminds me, I also invented an alphabet when I was in high school and started making a conlang too, for a series fantasy novels my best friend and I were writing.
That conlang didn't turn out very well since I had no idea what I was doing, basically. :lol:
I still gotta have that alphabet around here somewhere...
Ah, there it is: Image
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

TheJuggler wrote:Very nice! :)
Random sidenote: are fountain pens common in Belgium? They are quite rare here in the States.
Very very common, in fact, we have to learn to write using fountain pens (well, pencils first, but after that). So most people stick with them for writing for the rest of their lives.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote: Ahem.
Would be a rather cool idea for a mod though, NPC's speaking in their own language and having their own writing on their ships. :)
The combination with this mod idea, Getting Home would make a great couple.
You'll find yourself in a different region of space and have to learn the language first. Kinda like the auto translator from Star Trek. After a while you understand first words, then parts of a sentence .. etc etc..

By the way, while searching for the linked mod idea:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: home getting.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

Haha
:D

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
davdav wrote: 2D or even visual.
A written language is kinda restricted to being visual :roll:
I think I didn't use "written".

But it's true that this topic is about alphabets and the definition from wikipedia restrict to letters that represent vowels and consonants. Sorry for the HS.

So, my point is perhaps alphabets are too restrictive in a space environment to represent all languages.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
davdav wrote: 2D or even visual.
A written language is kinda restricted to being visual :roll:
Well, after reflexion, even an alphabet could be not visual.
For example, the Mendeleïev element table could be an alphabet for a language. If you have a scanner that detects elements, you have a non visual representation of a language.

Online Now