Return to “Technical”

Re: Paper on efficent shadow maps for many lights

Thanks guys! Of course I am the typical long time lurker who wasn't lucky enough to back during the kickstarter campaign but I digress. I went on a bit of a research binge after being impressed by a video yesterday on Nvidias new grass simulation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVa0NOFdwM and re-discovered this bit of high quality research that I thought may be of use to our friend graphics Josh. I am glad that already people here find it interesting; a great fanbase seems to have been assembled here! :D

Very, very nice! I'd like to point out that those are point lights and not volumetric lights, but other than that... :thumbup:
Adv wrote:Thanks guys! Of course I am the typical long time lurker who wasn't lucky enough to back during the kickstarter campaign but I digress. I went on a bit of a research binge after being impressed by a video yesterday on Nvidias new grass simulation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVa0NOFdwM and re-discovered this bit of high quality research that I thought may be of use to our friend graphics Josh. I am glad that already people here find it interesting; a great fanbase seems to have been assembled here! :D
*brofist* I was one of those too - long-time lurker that couldn't back. I'm glad I came out of hiding, though. You'll like these guys - LT tends to attract intellectuals.

Welcome!! I hope you stick around - would love to see more of you. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote: LT tends to attract intellectuals.
And people who just bumped into LT by accident and at the time weren't aware of what procedural generation could do. But they loved the idea of a new space game, and fell in love with the dev updates and community. :oops: :angel:
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I merely meant "people who like talkin' 'bout thinky stuffs" - Flat, for instance. :P Cornflakes. Hyperion. It does attract that type. It's not the only type, but, hey. I'm sure most of you enjoy reading it from time to time, even if you don't actively participate. :P I do that. Sometimes I jump in, but usually I'm content just to watch.

Besides. I'm fairly positive that all of you guys possess a greater-than-average intelligence. The Bay12 community is mostly the same way.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Flatfingers wrote:I'm in a discussion group elsewhere where one member recently bailed, complaining about "pseudo-intellectual posers."

All I could think was, "what's the difference between a pseudo-intellectual poseur and the regular intellectual poseur?"

:think:

At any rate... efficient shadow maps! Dynamic lighting from mobile light sources in the world! Do want.
I think the difference is similar to an academic and a pseudo-academic. Many people write what they think is in an academic sense because it uses overly formal language, while true academic language sticks to concise expression.

Talvieno wrote:I merely meant "people who like talkin' 'bout thinky stuffs" - Flat, for instance. :P Cornflakes. Hyperion. It does attract that type. It's not the only type, but, hey. I'm sure most of you enjoy reading it from time to time, even if you don't actively participate. :P I do that. Sometimes I jump in, but usually I'm content just to watch.

Besides. I'm fairly positive that all of you guys possess a greater-than-average intelligence. The Bay12 community is mostly the same way.
I am merely a high-caliber idiot, my ramblings are just noise. I'm glad you enjoy them though. :D

Also, pretty grass, weird coloring/lighting/texture though... like the uncanny valley effect for grass.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now