Return to “Technical”

Re: Procedural planets

I'm not sure if that's what I had in mind when I wrote it, but the outcome is the same. I'm glad to have the ability to make someone laugh once in a while, Victor. :D
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:2 - Cloud Imperium guys, stop making Star Citizen and start making Kerbal Space Program inteed.
:shock: I can't possibly agree with that, Etsu. CIG have assured me they are in the process of making the BDSGE. There is absolutely no way KSP can compete with that. Although I must admit I do have a great deal of affection for Thomdon. ;) :)

Victor Tombs wrote: :shock: I can't possibly agree with that, Etsu. CIG have assured me they are in the process of making the BDSGE. There is absolutely no way KSP can compete with that. Although I must admit I do have a great deal of affection for Thomdon. ;) :)
I don't know what BDSGE is and I'm afraid that if I ask I can look like and idiot. :oops:

I was just joking, of course. I don't want that Chris Roberts and Co. stop making SC. But I am of the opposite opinion about the two games qualities: I think that there is no way that Star Citizen can compete with KSP ever. Both games are just in different leagues. At least that SC quit the fantasy baggage and go full science-fiction mode instead, which it's not going to happen. But that of course are personal preferences. :ugeek:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:I don't know what BDSGE is and I'm afraid that if I ask I can look like and idiot. :oops:

I was just joking, of course. I don't want that Chris Roberts and Co. stop making SC. But I am of the opposite opinion about the two games qualities: I think that there is no way that Star Citizen can compete with KSP ever. Both games are just in different leagues. At least that SC quit the fantasy baggage and go full science-fiction mode instead, which it's not going to happen. But that of course are personal preferences. :ugeek:
Sorry, Etsu, you are far from being the idiot. I shouldn't use unofficial acronyms. :oops: The official version is BDSSE (Best Damn Space Sim Ever) but seeing as the parameters for the game seem to be changing with each new announcement it would be fair to say that CIG are now talking BDSGE (Best Damn Space Game Ever).

And, of course, I was aware that you were not being serious in your previous post. ;) :)

Although I am of the opinion that KSP is a great game I will continue to good-naturedly disagree concerning your erroneous assessment of SC. In its "finished" state, I doubt it will be the inferior of the two. If it is indeed possible to make comparisons.:P However, there are a growing number of backers who are getting "slightly tense" concerning what is perceived to be damaging project creep. :angel:

We will see. :mrgreen:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Etsu wrote:2 - Cloud Imperium guys, stop making Star Citizen and start making Kerbal Space Program inteed.
:shock: I can't possibly agree with that, Etsu. CIG have assured me they are in the process of making the BDSGE. There is absolutely no way KSP can compete with that. Although I must admit I do have a great deal of affection for Thomdon. ;) :)
it would be fair to say that CIG are now talking BDSGE (Best Damn Space Game Ever).
God, I certainly hope not. Best damn space game YET, i'm okay with, but if they are never ever ever outdone, we are on the precipice of very dark times, and you just being too old to live through the dark ages is no excuse for wishing them upon us. ;)
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Katawa wrote:Don't feed his age fetish...
Heed these wise words, Hyperion. If you shower me with too many age comments I will eventually be forced into nostalgia mode. For everyone's sanity you really don't want that.:lol:
Hyperion wrote:God, I certainly hope not. Best damn space game YET, i'm okay with, but if they are never ever ever outdone, we are on the precipice of very dark times, and you just being too old to live through the dark ages is no excuse for wishing them upon us.
SC was never intended to be a short lived project. CR has already stated that the intention is to grow and add to the game for unspecified years to come. So even if it doesn't survive for ever he's determined to give it his best shot. He's already aiming for the BDSSE he may as well aim higher. That's precisely the sort of approach Mr Parnell has adopted. ;) :D

Can someone put this thread back on the rails please. Something about procedural planets would be good. :oops:

Victor Tombs wrote:
Katawa wrote:Don't feed his age fetish...
Can someone put this thread back on the rails please. Something about procedural planets would be good. :oops:
Err, i haven't read every dev log till now - But in LT we are not able to fly in orbit over the planet?! How close do we get?

Another question is about the weather. Will there be storms? Or big events like vulcano eruptions?
:D

N-Joy wrote:
Err, i haven't read every dev log till now - But in LT we are not able to fly in orbit over the planet?! How close do we get?

Another question is about the weather. Will there be storms? Or big events like vulcano eruptions?
orbital height? Yes, just look at the latest video (or was it the second to latest, im not perfectly sure right now).
You will not get much closer than in the video.

There wont be much atmospheric events on the planets i think, at least nothing but cloud textures were mentioned, nothing about them being dynamic

I made some procedural planets today using Vue. Nothing fancy, just basic stuff trying to figure out how everything works.

If you want, click on any of the images to go to my topic and see the full set.

N-Joy wrote:wow - looks awesome etsu!
Thanks. :)

But I still can't accept any compliment until I have something similar working in the engine, running in real time. Working on it. :geek:

Online Now