Return to “Technical”

Re: Adaptive Tearing and Cracking of Thin Sheets

I find it fascinating that there seems to be issues involved in remeshing when it comes to applications similar to this, and this appearantly.
It's always sort of argued for decoupling simulation and representation to me. Apparently remeshing is excellent for liquids though since the stability of liquid isn't exactly a concern.

The paper is here.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed
Re: Adaptive Tearing and Cracking of Thin Sheets

So much awesome. D:

However, this will never make it into LT2, unless Mr. Parnell delays production for 10+ years. The reason is simple.

These are not real-time renders. These were done frame-by-frame, and likely took far longer to produce than any game could handle. Something like this just isn't feasible with current technology - at least not at the level demanded by games. We could definitely see it in movies, though.

From their paper:
[...] we can capture this behavior. Doing so however requires extremely small timesteps of up to (math), leading to a total simulation time of 20 hours, an order of magnitude larger than our other examples.
soooo no. not real-time renders, or even anywhere close to it.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Online Now