Return to “Technical”

Nebula tech: Rorschach Patterns?

First of all Josh, kudos for the fantastic update, Nice system, beautiful colors, beautiful nebulae. Throughout the update video(and in some past videos) I've observed that at some places the nebula shows vertical or horizontal symmetry, kinda like rorschach patterns. Is that intentional? Here's a few examples from the latest vid. There are others in the previous videos. The red line is the line of symmetry.
Ex1.jpg
Ex1.jpg (135 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
Ex2.jpg
Ex2.jpg (164.05 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
Re: Nebula tech: Rorschach Patterns?

Y'know, everybody has a different idea, so let's think outside the box a little here.

Nebulas that have distinct patterns could provide something that the players could learn to familiarize themselves with, so they could look about, see the pattern and go, "Hey, a giant space flea - that means I'm in the Daltorran system." It lets the player be creative with what they imagine they see, and helps them to remember it. It would also help keep the procedural nebulae from growing stale as quickly as they might otherwise.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Yes, because of the math used to generate the nebulae, there are going to be some symmetries in places. I try my best to obfuscate them, but it's basically unavoidable with the math being used. Shouldn't be too bothersome usually...the second image is indeed an extreme example :ghost:

Day 403: We've finally located the fabled Cookie Monster Nebula! Looks like we're on the right track to earth...
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Vartul wrote:...
Damn it, man. I would have never noticed, and only like 3 years later would i go "Hey, this has symmetry and looks like a face, weird" now i wont not see it.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

This conversation reminds me of Joel and the 'bots describing what they think a "Sampo" is....

Re: the new LT nebulae, I have to admit I didn't see any symmetry. But I did, now that I think about it, feel that something was a little bit off about the clumping. Somehow -- probably from looking at too many Astronomy Picture Of the Day images -- I guess I was expecting something a bit... wispier?

Don't know if it's possible to have that and keep the gorgeous colors we saw in May's update video, though. I'd hate to see those go.

Online Now