Return to “Technical”

Re: Questions about ingame content & developing

Right now, I'm trying to only take what the dev logs and update videos say as canon due to the volatility of so many other mediums.

At the same time, IRC represents such a small portion of the userbase/funding base that it is hard to justify anything in IRC as more than a think-tank. This isn't to belittle the discussions that happen on there--I know a lot of good things have come out of LT Sundays and more--but please remember that the Elder Council exists for a reason too.
Gazz wrote:Aww, lets worry about canon when the game is out. =)
Right now quite a few bits and pieces (such as the entire ship / station creation) only exist as temporary stubs.
I think Gazz sums it up quite nicely.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Thanks for all the Answers, especially to N810.
But what i meant with this: How many ships, weapons and rockets will there be?
is there an fixed number of ships, wepaons .. that all players will have?

And 2 questions that came across with the answers:
1. Is there a video about the shields, drones and these "jump gates". I've watched most of the videos but i don't saw one of them. ;)
2. As far as i understand i can also control all of my ships. But how detailed will these control be?
Is there a video about this?

That's all i guess. ;)
Thanks to all. (and also for the welcome) :thumbup:

Proton wrote:Thanks for all the Answers, especially to N810.
But what i meant with this: How many ships, weapons and rockets will there be?
is there an fixed number of ships, wepaons .. that all players will have?
not at the moment at least.
most likely that number is defined by your computer and not by the game itself.

Proton wrote: And 2 questions that came across with the answers:
1. Is there a video about the ships and these "jump gates". I've watched most of the Videos but i don't saw one of them. ;)
2. As far as i understand i can also control all of my ships. But how detailed will these control be.
Is there a video about this.
1: which "the ships" do you mean?
there were no jumpgates in the videos until now, expect something akin to this

2:early version of the control interface will be much better in the final game

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Hmm, This video shows the early version of 'jump gates', the trade lanes/ acceleration lanes and the early structure of space
tradelanes: around 1min
'jumpgate': around 5min
structure of space: around 5min 55s
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Cha0zz wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Hmm, This video shows the early version of 'jump gates', the trade lanes/ acceleration lanes and the early structure of space
tradelanes: around 1min
'jumpgate': around 5min
structure of space: around 5min 55s
I'd not call that an jumpgate.
These are wormholes

Cha0zz wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
I'd not call that an jumpgate.
These are wormholes
He literally says that this are jump holes, and that maybe later they will get a gate structure around them.
Also, there's a reason I used the quotation marks :P
In Cornflakes terminology as he established in the wormholes thread, jumpholes are raw wormholes, and jump gates are stabilised wormholes with structures.

So jump holes and jump gates are two different things, and what you're seeing there are jump holes.

ThymineC wrote: In Cornflakes terminology as he established in the wormholes thread, jumpholes are raw wormholes, and jump gates are stabilised wormholes with structures.
Well, in essence that makes them the same thing, since they're both wormholes, gates are just stabilized ones.

Edit; I'm also going for confirmed terminology and features, not for not yet confirmed suggestions.
Edit2; 5min 10s: 'and now we are approaching some weird looking space anomaly, this is actually a JUMPGATE'
Last edited by Cha0zz on Wed May 21, 2014 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cha0zz wrote:
ThymineC wrote: In Cornflakes terminology as he established in the wormholes thread, jumpholes are raw wormholes, and jump gates are stabilised wormholes with structures.
Well, in essence that makes them the same thing, since they're both wormholes, gates are just stabilized ones.
Yes, and Josh has not shown any stabilised wormholes in his dev videos.

ThymineC wrote: Yes, and Josh has not shown any stabilised wormholes in his dev videos.
Not entirely correct, for a) he literally calls it 'jump gate' b)When this video was made there was only one type of transition between sectors, this thing, there is no distinction in unstable and stabilized gates since there's only one type in existence, a type that for as far we know is permanently stable.

Both these justify my use of 'jump gate'

Edit:
The suggestion thymine referred to is afaik the only one where josh said that he will implement it 1:1

link
I was referring to the moment the video was made, later applications and accepted suggestions can not be applied at this video since the idea was not in existence at the moment it was made, I only posted the video because it is a good early representation for how Josh wants transitions between sectors.

Online Now