Return to “Technical”

Technology release?

Hi,
I am very impressed with the game and I am looking forward for its public release.
I was wondering if the team is considering the release of the technology used in the game (source code would be awesome, of course, but it is understandable that it might be a commercial asset not to be released at the beginning). What I mean is re-implementable description of the algorithms and solutions used in the game. Maybe as research paper? Do you remember the "Game programming gems" book series?
This would allow others to stand of the shoulders of previous developments and it clearly can hinder the commercial advantage of the teams, since from theory to a fully fledged product there is a long way...
Re: Technology release?

Hi, Welcome to the forums! :wave:

Here's some Word-of-Josh for you.

Code license
JoshParnell wrote:Sorry, I guess I must have missed your question in the comments section!

For now, LT will remain closed-source. I wasn't aware that closed-source projects had licenses associated with them! I do not currently have any license associated with the LT Engine.

I've been toying with the idea of OpenLT, an open-source Limit Theory implementation that the community could mod and extend, but that's quite a far-off dream. I may consider working on such a project after releasing LT. I was thinking it would be really neat to try out writing everything in Python/Cython/PyOpenGL, as I use it for prototyping and coding is just absurdly simple and fast compared to c++, which the entire LT engine is written in. That would make it super easy to extend, and I'm sure people would end up doing ridiculously-cool things with the game (as they do with every moddable game!)

But. I'm getting ahead of myself. Need to finish the real deal first!
THE April, 2014 Devlog Discussion
JoshParnell wrote:I will write my technique up sometime :) (along with...all the other LT techniques...)
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Online Now