Return to “Technical”

What is Limit Theory written in?

I'm just curious and I might not looked everywhere to find this information. But what is Limit Theory written in? C, C++? Java? :)
Processor: Intel i7 3770 3.4GHz, Graphics Card: Asus GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB, RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3 Dominator 1600Mhz, Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER Z77 S-1155 ATX IVY, SSD: Intel 520 120GB, CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i, PSU: Corsair AX 760I
Re: What is Limit Theory written in?

I'm currently converting an old PL/I program to JavaScript. I last edited it many, many years ago when I was but a mere larval-stage programmer.

It has virtually zero comments.
STRTRK.png
STRTRK.png (57.71 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
For my next trick, I will be inventing a time machine so that I can go back and smack my younger self upside the head for not explaining WTH some of these statements are supposed to do....
Last edited by Flatfingers on Sat May 10, 2014 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flatfingers wrote:I'm currently converting an old PL/I program to JavaScript. I last edited it many, many years ago when I was but a mere larval-stage programmer.

It has virtually zero comments.
STRTRK.png
For my next trick, I will be inventing a time machine so that I can go back and smack my younger self upside the head for not explaining WTH some of these statements are supposed to do....
Are you the original author of that Star Trek game? I played that when I was a larval-stage gamer. IIRC, it was hosted on numerous BBSs right alongside ASCII pr0n.

philosaur wrote:Are you the original author of that Star Trek game? I played that when I was a larval-stage gamer. IIRC, it was hosted on numerous BBSs right alongside ASCII pr0n.
I was definitely not the original author (if it can be considered to have had one).

You can read more about the remarkable history of the Star Trek game here.

My part in it was solely to find a copy in the early '80s on the campus mainframe, cleverly disguised under the filename WHTHSE (which then became STRTRK). But this was Super Star Trek, adapted from the simpler original game by numerous people before me.

I maintained and (slightly) enhanced the local PL/I version until 1985, but I sort of didn't have a PL/I compiler after that. ;)

I did keep the original punched card deck of the game, though, as well as a fanfold paper printout of the 1985 version. Eventually I decided it might be fun to convert it to run in JavaScript as a web-playable version.

Rather than paying to have the punched cards read, though, I just typed the whole thing back in from the printed version. Then I had to convert the 368 GOTO statements to functions without breaking any of the logic. :wtf:

That cleaned-up version is now playable. I may yet decide to "improve" it -- Super Duper Star Trek, anyone? :D

Online Now