Return to “Technical”

LT on USB?

I was wondering, is there any chance that LT could be made portable to run off a thumb drive or external hard drive?
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can
Re: LT on USB?

I guess you want to do that in order to play LT at a friends house.

If LT does not require any registry bits. It ought to be possible. However, Most USB drives you purchase from a store are designed to be cheap per GB. Thus are insanely slow. Do your homework and pick a drive (off newegg or amazon) with high read and write speeds and good reviews.

AbhChallenger wrote:If LT does not require any registry bits.
Since Limit Theory is supposedly able to run on Linux/Mac, I don't think that'd be a showstopper.
"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time." —Tom Cargill

Judging by the latest update this will be more then possible... :shifty:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

I'd just like to get a confirmation from teh Joshboy if LT will or will not be able to run portably through a stick on a computer without needing admin privileges. This is quite a high priority for me.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer

"Install" is usually a prerequisite of "run" :ghost:

Basically, if I can't plug and play at work, I'll be very very very very very sad :x
Imagination Fertilizer

Hyperion;

I'm confident enough to say that it will be able to run from a USB drive. It may be one of those instances where you install it, then copy it to the USB drive, but I'm sure that you can do it. Maybe edit a configuration file here or there for the location of where the world data is stored, but pretty sure you can still run it portably.

Why?

Because on windows, one of the only reasons you can't run things portably are either dependencies or registry entries. Since the game is being developed on Linux first, there is no registry (or at least nothing that would be seen as an equivalent to Windows' registry). Second, Linux usually stores configuration in text-based files. Third, another reason that would require something to not run portably on Windows are dependencies. Since there are VERY VERY few dependencies that are available on both Windows and Linux, I *highly* doubt any of them would be in play.

QED, LT will be able to run from USB.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now