Return to “Technical”

Models

After modeling spaceships for practice when Lt will come out ive been wondering in what format will these be saved. I understand that you have your own made engine but will you support a particular file for the modeling for your spaceships. Even if they are randomly generated by a particular seed there will also be man-made objects by the in game editer. What will these object be saved in? A .obj file or a .3ds file? Or a own extension?
Re: Models

Actually, it is a very good question.

For those models that aren't randomly generated, there will need to be a way to store them. It would make sense that it would be stored as a file. Besides, how else would we be able to share different ships?

I'm all for this. It makes sense. It would also allow for greater flexibility of creating ships too, as long as the person importing the ships realize that there may be extreme performance impacts if certain precautions aren't taken.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

That,is the main reason I wanted these models. I'm modelling things in sketchup and I'm learning efficient modelling so the performance hit is the smallest. It would just be nice of I could convert them to the good extension or just use a known extension. :D

Compared to other parts of LT it's not much of a technical hurdle to export a finished mesh in a desired format. It's slightly more difficult to import one due mostly to the error checks required.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Edit: the following is for user-generated ships from the ship designer:
I think the regular ship design file should contain the things you can manipulate in the ship editor.

Speculating here, but I guess we might get a sort of kitbash system loosely comparable to Kerbal Space Project, maybe with the option to resize the components. Sticking to that as example for a moment, I'd expect something like
  • Hull type A as main hull
    • Length 220m
    • Diameter 35 m
    • Texture=bare metal
    • Thruster size 5 attached at point X/Y/Z
  • Wing type B attached at point X/Y/Z
    • Length 40m
    • Width 80m
    • Texture=painted dark red
  • Hull type C as outrigger hull attached to B at point X/Y/Z
    • Length 140m
    • Diameter 25 m
    • Texture=bare metal
    • Thruster size 5 attached at point X/Y/Z
  • [another wing on the other side]
  • [another outrigger hull on the other side]
A very rough example, but you might see what I'm getting at:
The first thing you need is a representation of what the user can adjust/change in the ship editor. That means the used components from the kitbash system, their position in the design and so on...

A mesh export for modelers would be an optional luxury and on top of the above.

Online Now