Return to “Technical”

"Technology Nodes: Implicit??"

This looks very similar to implementing orders in combat decisions. Research tech trees do not need to be exposed, while being exploitable according to demand, led by orders. Tech research options should also map to demand for capabilities, and orders, just like the combat.

You'd issue an intention (order), the various commanding elements would trickle their instructions down to lower levels, and the results would eventually bounce back up, along with confidence and efficiency assessments. If you like, "we'd do it better if we also did X" which would be reviewed and implemented as necessary -- that would bounce around, until optimal achievable options are presented upwards, and so on. It's then a matter of deciding whether the player sees these distilled options, or the game just implements the best confident option, based on how much management you want the player to do. I expect at least some decision-making, just for fun.

So you can issue very general objective if you like. e.g. in order of increasing generality you might do one of:
  • 'Research smelting level 4',
  • 'upgrade the ability to extract iron from ores',
  • 'research manufacturing',
  • 'exploit your market', or
  • 'find a new location and exploit it' for the most highly-skilled NPCs
p.s. you might also like to consider how global a technology is. For example, 'How' to manufacture a widget can transmit as quickly as information. 'Being able' to manufacture a widget might take time, per instance of a factory, and will take a while to attain peak efficiency and quality.
Re: "Technology Nodes: Implicit??"

I like tech trees.
I think it's a very beautiful way to see where you come from and where you going, technologically speaking.
How to parse the blueprints? Isn't a tree the best layout?

Most of all, in each video it seems like the sooooooooo beautiful node interface "hide" itself behind a common interface. In the last video, we can't really see node base interface as we use to see in former videos... If Josh deletes the tech tree view... Where will we see those nice organic or octogonal layout?

I want a tech tree. And in fact. I want it NOW !
Are you trying to scan my signature ?
Re: "Technology Nodes: Implicit??"

The answer to the question in the dev log, 'is having both blueprints and a tech tree separately redundant' seems to be yes. Having said that, can't we use the tech tree as the means of displaying the blueprints you own? Otherwise, you're, what - treating them as items? I think I'd rather ditch whatever other form blueprints take and keep the tree.

Online Now