Return to “Technical”

Anisotropic Filtering?

Hello All,

After re watching some of the more recent development update videos, I began to notice a decline in texture quality on stations and occasionally the ship itself. The textures would become noticeably blurrier at a further distance, which leads me to believe that Anisotropic Filtering may not have been implemented into Limit Theory yet. If I am correct in this assumption, then I believe implementing this feature would be greatly beneficial to the graphics and visual appeal.

In the picture I have attached you can see that the textures become blurrier along the top of the space station, most notably where the arrows indicate. This is a strong indication that Anisotropic Filtering hasn't been implemented.

This isn't a big deal for some, but can result in a notable and very performance friendly increase in image quality.
Attachments
blurry.JPG
blurry.JPG (41.44 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
Re: Anisotropic Filtering?

That blurriness almost looks like compression artifacting to me.

I don't think AF is in the game yet because Josh is still tinkering with AO for the moment.

Welcome to the forums! :wave:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

AF is one of those weird things where it can be set by the application or set by the driver. Until now I have been controller the AF level with the control panel and simply not using it, because there is a performance hit (of course).

But I've just gone ahead and thrown in application-level filtering (there really isn't anything to 'implement,' it's just like a one-line enable thing) :thumbup:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:I've just gone ahead and thrown in application-level filtering (there really isn't anything to 'implement,' it's just like a one-line enable thing) :thumbup:
Hmm. With apologies to Hyperbole-and-a-half...

Enable ALL THE LINES.

I admit it; I'm curious what that might look -- and run -- like. How many one-line switches and values for graphicalization aren't already in use, anyway? After enabling Maximum Everything, does the current build (on the current build platform) survive? Or does it go into slideshow mode and whimper?

Destructive testing is the most fun an engineer can have. :)

Flatfingers wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:I've just gone ahead and thrown in application-level filtering (there really isn't anything to 'implement,' it's just like a one-line enable thing) :thumbup:
Hmm. With apologies to Hyperbole-and-a-half...

Enable ALL THE LINES.

I admit it; I'm curious what that might look -- and run -- like. How many one-line switches and values for graphicalization aren't already in use, anyway? After enabling Maximum Everything, does the current build (on the current build platform) survive? Or does it go into slideshow mode and whimper?

Destructive testing is the most fun an engineer can have. :)
It looks good and runs well ;) But that's basically the only one-line switch that I know of. AF is kind of weird in that way :think: Actually I'm glad Alphastorm brought this up, I had kind of forgotten about it and AF definitely does make a difference :thumbup:

@ Maximum everything the current build is still great :D

We will see how it fares with thousands of NPCs :twisted: :lol: :ghost:

Alphastorm wrote:Great! :D I'm actually somewhat proud to have made a difference in this game! Albeit a very small one. ;)
Yes, I think many of the members around here can tell you that it's a rather malleable thing :D At least, the surface details of it. So feel free to stick around.

(Although in the case of some of the more 'intense' members, even the core of the game mechanics seem to be a bit malleable as well.... :lol: )

JoshParnell wrote:(Although in the case of some of the more 'intense' members, even the core of the game mechanics seem to be a bit malleable as well.... :lol: )
This game has core mechanics?
:shock:
:D

OK, noted on the Maximum Graphicsness front... though I don't know how you plan to help sell expensive graphics cards with that kind of player-friendly attitude. ;)

Flatfingers wrote: though I don't know how you plan to help sell expensive graphics cards with that kind of player-friendly attitude. ;)
As you know I have a love-hate relationship with those things :| My desire to help sell them is weak at best :ghost:

Online Now