Return to “Technical”

Rim lighting? with mock-up

Not sure if this is "Technical" or "Suggestion".

From what I can tell there is no rim lighting in Limit Theory.

I'm not sure how it used in games (shaders or actual lights?) but in real life and CGI rim lighting is used to help characters and objects "pop" from the background (not strictly realistic per se but it adds visual separation and appeal).

The image below is a quick Photoshopped mock-up GIF with 1) original excerpt from latest video 2) upper half rim lighting applied 3) upper and lower half rim lighting:
Re: Rim lighting? with mock-up

This could be nice as long as it avoids the "where the hell is that light coming from?!" problem.

Specular or rim lighting effects where there's no natural light source to cast those rays from... ack. :x

Since these are ice asteroids, with presumably some translucency, maybe it's possible to have an effect where the reduced volume at the edge allows the light from the local star to shine through? A little cheating there to amp up the shine-through effect could yield something similar to a faux rim lighting effect, couldn't it?

(This is assuming you're facing toward the local star. If you're facing away, I'd think you'd get a more general flat illumination of any asteroids you're looking at relative to their backgrounds.)

Is this anywhere near accurate?

That looks AMAZING. The mock-up? Wow.
Flatfingers wrote:This could be nice as long as it avoids the "where the hell is that light coming from?!" problem.
Ignore this guy. The lighting looks cool even if there is no star. :lol:

It is impressive how much something so little adds. +10
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

McDuff wrote:You'd be amazed at how much work on lighting set ups in TV and movies goes towards making you think that 5 separate light sources are all just coming from that one open window you can see.
Yes. But movies like Barry Lyndon are particularly awesome for not having fake light sources. :ugeek:
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

I like the 2nd one most. Lit from all directions looks a bit boring. No more shadows etc.
Would need to be toned down to not kill the 'dark' ambience I think.

fresnel / rim lighing combined with normal and light vector would be nice.
Then again, a big nebula doesn't have a light vector.
Which means we'd need to base it on some environment lightmap. Or GI.
Dunno.
Josh will have the right idea for it I guess :P

Online Now