Return to “Technical”

Can i run it?

I think we could use josh his laptop as standard as he is able to run, but can i be able to run it?

specs

windows 7
amd athlon 64 x2 dualcore 4400+ 2,3 GHz (nog niet ge OC)
64 bit
ram: 2 gb
nividia gforce g210

I am prepared to go to the lowest function

ps. if i cant play it i will keep lurking on the forums

edit: translated part of the post, months later i noticed it was part dutch
Last edited by rens282 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Can i run it?

Not sure actually. Everything but the graphics card screams yes... But a gforce 210 is pretty basic.
An upgrade might be required.

No idea if you'll be able to run the game on minimum settings... Here's to hoping you will. :thumbup:
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I'm not positive as I'm not familiar with that GPU, but probably yes. I would bet that it can at least keep up with the Intel HD4000. And it's an NV card, so even if it doesn't run well, you can pretty much be sure that will at least run (NV has the nicest drivers :) ).
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I always find the follow website to be useful to determine whether or not my card stacks up against the minimum and recommended requirements of games I am thinking of getting:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.p ... Force+G210

There are other charts on that site you can compare it with as well.. but this one in particular stacks it up against current generation cards so you can see just how well it stacks up.

According to this website, the GeForce G210 is a "Low To Mid End Card".

I have just finished a rebuild on my ancient P4 "beige brick". :oops:

The sad ending of support for Windows XP in April has forced me to take drastic action. I managed to get my hands on a HD4650 AGP graphics card with a whole gigabyte of dedicated memory (luxury incarnate), a motherboard capable of supporting faster SATA drives and a "refurbished" fast SATA drive. My old IDE drive has found a new home in a second hand external enclosure. As I already own the HT version of the P4 CPU there was no upgrade available in that department. Luckily I had a spare copy of Windows 7 Pro on hand.

I was in economy mode when I went searching for the "new" hardware so managed to get the components cheaply. :D

After much tweaking and some bad language it now runs Windows 7 with relative ease and in gloriously crisp VGA on my AcerAL1921 monitor. The processor is the only let down scoring 3.8 (without overclocking) on the WEI but the hard disk scores a 5.8 and the gaming graphics a 6.4. It will never compete with the "black beast" but as a general workhorse it will do nicely.

Why bother you may ask. Well, I like the retro look and its been around for so long it's part of the furniture. :lol:

Sadly, I couldn't get the LTP to work on it. I'm not really surprised but I thought I would give it a go. :)

You might need to update your drivers, or execute LTP in XP compatibility mode.

Not sure though... these are just the "first aid tools", so chances are you've tried this already. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote:You might need to update your drivers, or execute LTP in XP compatibility mode.

Not sure though... these are just the "first aid tools", so chances are you've tried this already. :D
Thanks for trying to help Katorone but as you surmised I have already tried your suggestions. However, I have seen the "first aid tools" work rather well for some problems so it is well worth trying. :) When I received the "Shutting down due to critical error: GLEW failed to support OpenGL 3.0" message when loading I knew I was sunk. :(

It's no biggie though as I wasn't counting on getting a positive result. I couldn't get it to run on my laptops either but my gaming rig loves it. I had forgotten how polished the installation process was for the LTP. It reminded me a lot of TES Oblivion with the "slideshow" of early LT images. :D I was really impressed by how smoothly it all went, very professional work from Josh. :thumbup:

Thank all you guys for helping me, i thought whole my computer was shit now it only seems the graphic card :D . Could anyone recommend me a good one. that will fit the same as a 210? How cheaper how cheaper how better.(sorry still in school).

Already thank for your guys advice.

Ps. I dont have LTP anyone know a game thats about the same range?

rens282 wrote:Thank all you guys for helping me, i thought whole my computer was shit now it only seems the graphic card :D . Could anyone recommend me a good one. that will fit the same as a 210? How cheaper how cheaper how better.(sorry still in school).

Already thank for your guys advice.

Ps. I dont have LTP anyone know a game thats about the same range?
Overall your PC looks a lot like the one I bought in 2007 (now relegated to secondary machine). I'd not invest a lot of money in it at this point, because everything is somewhat obsolete and eventually you will just run into other limitations.

This said, here are a few graphic cards that should be as good or better than the HD4000, based on their Passmark scores (HD 4000 scores at 458). Retail versions ony, and only those I'd consider myself:
  • NVidia GT240, Passmark score 641. This is an old model from 2009, you will get it only used these days. Power consumption is a bit higher than in the GT210 (69W vs. 30W according to Wikipedia), so your power supply should have some reserves. Any bigger GT2xx models will obviously do in performance, but also consume over 100W. That means a beefy PSU and extra 6-pin connectors necessary...
  • NVidia GT430, Passmark score 648. Still available from some dealers here in Europe, you could get one for 50 Euros. TDP (max. power consumption) is modest at 49W. Make sure to get a version with 128 bit memory bus.
  • NVidia GT630. Passmark score 730. Retail prices similar to the GT430, TDP up to 65W depending on version. There are several versions, NVidia has been playing shell games with the version numbers here.
  • NVidia GT640 Rev.2. Passmark score > 1000 (Rev.2 not listed separately). Retail prices 70-80 euros, TDP modest at 49W. This is pretty much the maximum I'd consider for that old machine.
  • On the AMD side, the HD 7730 is an option. I could not find Passmark scores, but this review http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4801/bu ... -640-gk208 suggests it is somewhat inferior to the GT640. At the same time, retail prices are somewhat cheaper, starting at 55 Euros. TDP is modest at 47W.
Hope that helps :)

rens282 wrote:Thx man i think i will be looking for a 240 or a 430 those will suffiecent i think
Honestly, don't bother with either. The 240 was midrange in late 2009 and the 430 a bit over 3 years ago. For the money you're going to be spending on it, in a year or two you'll be going 'Hmmm, my GPU's rubbish.'

I had a poke around and found some 640s in the UK for just under £60. It's not exactly high end, but it'll stomp either of those two into a small red puddle.

:thumbup: Aaaaaaand, I just reread what Rabiator wrote, and have to agree with his rather extensive analysis. Then if at a later date you have the money to upgrade the CPU etc, you'll have a rather nice machine. :twisted:

Well, the 640 Rev.2 is still not a high end or even midrange GPU by 2014s standards. As a stopgag measure specifically to run LT it might be OK, but don't expect it to run stuff like Star Citizen.

That's why I tend to keep my PCs as they are, and get a completely new one every 3-4 years. Except for maybe the case of the oldest machine, that may get re-used if it is still nice. The advantage is that you eventually end up with several emergency/backup machines :) .

Right now I have
  • A Pentium 4 / 2.4 GHz from 2004, with 1 Gbyte RAM and a Radeon 9600pro. Totally obsolete, but still useable as an emergency PC. Currently on loan to a friend, as it still has floppy drives and he wants to check some old data he has on floppies ;) .
  • An AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dualcore 4600+EE 2.4GHz, with 2 Gbyte RAM and a Nvidia 8600 pro. Marginally faster than the machine of rens282, and OK for less demanding games like World of Tanks. Currently standing at the house of my mother, for a bit of surfing when I'm visiting there on weekends.
  • An AMD Phenom II X4 910e 2.4GHz, with 4 Gbyte RAM and a Radeon HD 6670. My current machine and hopefully adequate for LT :)

Online Now