Return to “Technical”

Re: Can i run it?

This opens up another question.

Since Josh is using the shaders as the way to generate stuff, will AMD actually end up being stronger? For example, when people mine bitcoins, AMDs do far better than nVidias due to AMD usually having more shaders to brute-force (even though nVidia makes up with numbers with sheer power and efficiency).
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Rabiator wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:Alright, curious to see which part of my computer is the weakest. I swear every time I plan on going to sleep, I sit up and think of LT :shock:

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard Company
Model: p7-1120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.4GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (6.92 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Windows 7 Home Edition

Adapter Type: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Chip Type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC Type: Internal
Adapter String: Intel(R) Graphics 2000
Total Available Graphics Memory: 1696 MB
As others have written, the Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000 is by far the weakest component.
CPU is OK. Not high end but decent, and only a few recent games actually make full use of a quad core.
RAM is plentyful for now.

So if you want to improve the gaming performance, a graphics card is it.

Right now, the GeForce GTX750Ti looks pretty attractive, decent midrange performance with moderate power consumption (around 70 W). The 300W power supply in the HP should be able to handle it without upgrade. In terms of performance per watt, the GTX750Ti is currently king.

If you really like the Open Source policy of AMD, the Radeon R7 250X has roughly the same power consumption. Price and performance are both somewhat lower, maybe 1/3 less. But I guess they will be OK for Limit Theory, considering that Josh aims to make it run OK on a laptop.
Thank you for that post...so then it really comes down to this: AMD, or NVidia? *Gets murdered for too many questions* :ghost:
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Okay, I was looking at the video cards that Rabiator suggested, but I can't tell if they are compatible with my computer. I am on pcpartpicker.com looking. I just want to be ABSOLUTELY sure before I start buying things and then go "ah shit...it isn't compatible"
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote:Thank you for that post...so then it really comes down to this: AMD, or NVidia? *Gets murdered for too many questions* :ghost:
In this case, yes. Changing the CPU (while keeping the current motherboard) gives you at best the Intel HD Graphics 4000. Still not very impressive. And just as expensive as the graphics card, maybe more so.

So your best bet is adding a graphics card, and there are essentially AMD and NVidia left as mainstream vendors. All others that still exist (like Matrox) are making some specialized stuff at high prices, rather unattractive for gaming.
Last edited by Rabiator on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charley_Deallus wrote:Okay, I was looking at the video cards that Rabiator suggested, but I can't tell if they are compatible with my computer. I am on pcpartpicker.com looking. I just want to be ABSOLUTELY sure before I start buying things and then go "ah shit...it isn't compatible"
Look here, under "video graphics":
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 12519#N493. It says "Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards". Which is what the suggested cards are.
Also, drivers for Windows 7 are a non-issue, as the most popular operating system these days it is definitely supported.

Rabiator wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:Okay, I was looking at the video cards that Rabiator suggested, but I can't tell if they are compatible with my computer. I am on pcpartpicker.com looking. I just want to be ABSOLUTELY sure before I start buying things and then go "ah shit...it isn't compatible"
Look here, under "video graphics":
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 12519#N493. It says "Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards". Which is what the suggested cards are.
Also, drivers for Windows 7 are a non-issue, as the most popular operating system these days it is definitely supported.
So in simple terms...I can use the graphics card that you mentioned before? The GeForce GTX750Ti? Because I have been funneling my booze money into my "Charley Needs An Upgrade" account :P

Rabiator wrote:Yes, I believe the GeForce GTX750Ti would be a good choice :)
Yay!

*Throws Confetti*

It finally got dumbed down enough for me to understand :D

Edit - Have been looking at Youtube for videos on installing graphics cards, and it honestly does not seem too difficult (once you sit down and look at it). So, I will go ahead and start messing with things in about a week or so.

Edit 2.0 - Was looking at the GeForce GTX 750 Ti and I keep seeing (on websites selling it) that it requires 400w of power (compared to my 300w), so...

EDIT 3.0 - The manufacturer website says 300w... @___@

EDIT 4.0 - But every 'BUY ONLINE' link from the manufacturer website tells me it is 400w...wtf!?

Charley_Deallus wrote:
Yay!

*Throws Confetti*

Edit - Have been looking at Youtube for videos on installing graphics cards, and it honestly does not seem too difficult (once you sit down and look at it). So, I will go ahead and start messing with things in about a week or so.

Edit 2.0 - Was looking at the GeForce GTX 750 Ti and I keep seeing that it requires 400w of power (compared to my 300w), so...
I guess that is the vendor being extra cautious.

Under normal circumstances the guts of your p7-1120 should not need more than 120W (my guess, based on measurements of a PC of mine that has similar specs for the processor TDP). Add 70W for the GeForce GTX 750 Ti and you are at 190W, which should be well within the capabilities of a 300w power supply. Assuming that HP has not actually built in a 150W part and marketed it as 300W ;) .

Which is a bit of a risk, I guess, but one I would accept in upgrading my own system.
Last edited by Rabiator on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rabiator wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:
Yay!

*Throws Confetti*

Edit 2.0 - Was looking at the GeForce GTX 750 Ti and I keep seeing that it requires 400w of power (compared to my 300w), so...
I guess that is the vendor being extra cautious.

Under normal circumstances the guts of your p7-1120 should not need more than 120W (my guess, based on measurements on a PC of mine that has similar specs for the processor TDP). Add 70W for the GeForce GTX 750 Ti and you are at 190W, which should be well within the capabilities of a 300w power supply. Assuming that HP has not actually built in a 150W part and marketed it as 300W ;) .

Which is a bit of a risk, I guess, but one I would accept in upgrading my own system.
I thank you kind sir. I will mail you a drink sometime :P

Just keep in mind that the video card has to fit into your case. It usually does, but there might be some situations where it does not.
You should try it anyways, as I dont think that there will be a problem. And even if i dont know your laws, you probably should be able to return the card to the store during a certain period of time.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:You should also watch out for the PCI connector version the card needs, the 750Ti's i found need pci-e 3.0 and your mainboard does not even list 2.0
Good catch. Glad I was willing to wait a while to make sure no one else on the forum popped up something that would screw me over :P I have only 2.0, so where does that leave me?

Charley_Deallus wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:You should also watch out for the PCI connector version the card needs, the 750Ti's i found need pci-e 3.0 and your mainboard does not even list 2.0
Good catch. Glad I was willing to wait a while to make sure no one else on the forum popped up something that would screw me over :P I have only 2.0, so where does that leave me?
In your position I would just get a completely new computer, except for the RAM which is pretty decent.

Online Now