Return to “Technical”

Post

Re: Can i run it?

#77
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:Dumb that down please. :)
you only solder the first thing in development by hand, and in PC design no thing manual.
the consumer does not even need to know what soldering is ^^
Exactly right. Just consider it to be really expensive Lego that can only go together in one combination. :twisted:
Image
Post

Re: Can i run it?

#78
HowSerendipitous wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:Dumb that down please. :)
you only solder the first thing in development by hand, and in PC design no thing manual.
the consumer does not even need to know what soldering is ^^
Exactly right. Just consider it to be really expensive Lego that can only go together in one combination. :twisted:
maybe two, you can choose which piece of ram goes in which slot :P
Post

Re: Can i run it?

#79
mcsven wrote:I've had enough of building these things myself. To be honest these days the cost benefit just isn't really there. In the UK, an online retailer like scan.co.uk will build you a really nice machine and offer a multi-year warranty for virtually the same price as the components themselves. Let them worry about making it all work!
True enough.

My sister recently asked me for advice on a new PC for her home office, as her old AMD Athlon from 2006 is no longer quite satisfactory. No gaming beast required, though.

So I started looking for a nice dual core with integrated graphics, preferably a tad better than the "entry level HD Graphics" in the i3-2130 Charley_Deallus has.

I picked
  • an Intel i3-4130 as desired processor (HD Graphics 4400, 20 execution units where the "entry level HD Graphics" has 6)
  • at least 4 Gbyte RAM
  • and at least 500 GByte HD
With a bit of searching, I found a HP minitower with the above specs and Windows 7 Professional for around 500 €.
Building something slightly better (1 TB harddisk and a nicer case, otherwise the same specs) from the alternate.de online catalog would have cost the same.

Looking at those options, sis decided to order the HP :) .
Post

Re: Can i run it?

#81
Update: since i graduated high school and going to study next year I am needing a beast of a laptop to run CAD programs. I'm looking ATM for a good compact working comp.
I'm keeping one eye to the fact it should run ltheory :think: but it stays my primary school laptop, any suggestions?
07
Post

Re: Can i run it?

#82
rens282 wrote:Update: since i graduated high school and going to study next year I am needing a beast of a laptop to run CAD programs. I'm looking ATM for a good compact working comp.
I'm keeping one eye to the fact it should run ltheory :think: but it stays my primary school laptop, any suggestions?
Did you pull the trigger? I've been keeping an eye on those latest Dell XPS 15 laptops for a friend, which look pretty nice and powerful (the bottom of this page). Kind of pricey though. :problem:
Post

Re: Can i run it?

#83
mcsven wrote:
rens282 wrote:Update: since i graduated high school and going to study next year I am needing a beast of a laptop to run CAD programs. I'm looking ATM for a good compact working comp.
I'm keeping one eye to the fact it should run ltheory :think: but it stays my primary school laptop, any suggestions?
Did you pull the trigger? I've been keeping an eye on those latest Dell XPS 15 laptops for a friend, which look pretty nice and powerful (the bottom of this page). Kind of pricey though. :problem:
like you said kind of pricey :( , but i am the new proud owner of a dell latitude E5420 with 8 gigs of ram an i5-2520M at 2,5 ghz and an intel HD3000 with 1 gig of memory and possible up to 1,6 gigs with help from the RAM, i think just bordering the edge for LT. but that XPS15 may be an upgrade for later since this one only cost €350.-
07
Post

Re: Can i run it?

#84
rens282 wrote:
mcsven wrote:
rens282 wrote:Update: since i graduated high school and going to study next year I am needing a beast of a laptop to run CAD programs. I'm looking ATM for a good compact working comp.
I'm keeping one eye to the fact it should run ltheory :think: but it stays my primary school laptop, any suggestions?
Did you pull the trigger? I've been keeping an eye on those latest Dell XPS 15 laptops for a friend, which look pretty nice and powerful (the bottom of this page). Kind of pricey though. :problem:
like you said kind of pricey :( , but i am the new proud owner of a dell latitude E5420 with 8 gigs of ram an i5-2520M at 2,5 ghz and an intel HD3000 with 1 gig of memory and possible up to 1,6 gigs with help from the RAM, i think just bordering the edge for LT. but that XPS15 may be an upgrade for later since this one only cost €350.-
The HD 3000 is Intel's integrated graphics, and an older model too. It may or may not run LT, depending on how things developed since the early days when Josh announced a laptop as one of his development PCs.

The 1 gig of memory is shared main memory. Almost certainly more than sufficient. The bottleneck of the HD 3000 is the processing capacity, not the size of the video RAM.

Edit:
In general, the Latitude E5420 seems a decent machine based on its specs. But the XPS 15 would certainly beat it in graphics. The Nvidia GT750M is a very nice part :) .
Post

Re: Can i run it?

#85
rens282 wrote:Update: since i graduated high school and going to study next year I am needing a beast of a laptop to run CAD programs. I'm looking ATM for a good compact working comp.
I'm keeping one eye to the fact it should run ltheory :think: but it stays my primary school laptop, any suggestions?
These aint laptops, but they are compact and small though ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGI8iYj ... -yeJA0Tunw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHFUxFc ... -yeJA0Tunw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaLbUXp ... -yeJA0Tunw

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron