Return to “Technical”

Re: Signed-distance-field (SDF) text renderer

codeape wrote:Ha ha you did it :thumbup:

... but you did not use some third party lib, you did your own stuff ... hat of for you sir :clap:
Thank you sir :)

I went back and re-watched the presentation on Glyphy. I see they do use some fanciness beyond SDF by approximating the glyph with arcs. I would be very curious to see how this stacks up against LT's implementation, which uses SDFs plus bicubic reconstruction (meaning, in theory, cubic beziers can be perfectly reconstructed from the distance field). My gut tells me that bicubic reconstruction is a vastly simpler way to eliminate the linear artifacts of vanilla SDF rendering, without having to increase the complexity of the storage medium.

But that's just a theory :)
Flatfingers wrote:He had me at "kerning."
It was only with this project that I realized just how awful text looks without it :shock: Definitely not an optional feature for font rendering :lol:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I had a question about the text rendering stuff in LT that's been implemented recently, so this thread will do.. right?

Will we be seeing text being written on to the side of game objects? or is it only for the text in the GUI itself?

When I saw the posts about the text rendering, my first and pretty much only thought was how cool it would be to have your own company/corporation identifier and name on the side of cargo containers and other items created by you etc... like a dynamic labeling system.

light487 wrote:I had a question about the text rendering stuff in LT that's been implemented recently, so this thread will do.. right?

Will we be seeing text being written on to the side of game objects? or is it only for the text in the GUI itself?

When I saw the posts about the text rendering, my first and pretty much only thought was how cool it would be to have your own company/corporation identifier and name on the side of cargo containers and other items created by you etc... like a dynamic labeling system.
Yes, mentioned being very excited about this in the dev logs. I have already conducted successful tests ;) Sadly, not sure we will get to see that in this video. But...the mechanism for doing what you describe is in deed there :thumbup:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now