Return to “Technical”

Re: I think Limit Theory has fulfilled Greenspun's Tenth Rul

Kvallning wrote:Image I don't get it.
Hahaha amazing image :clap:
negascout wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenspun's_tenth_rule

Not saying it's a bad thing :)
It's probably true. At some point I think everyone who builds a sufficiently large system will start to see that the only way to really collapse all of the complexity is to look at it like...pure math / functionalism, like lisp. So seems a reasonable point :) I definitely wonder what LT would look like had it been written functionally from the beginning.

Course, it wouldn't be running at 100 FPS ;)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

What LISP fans don't mention (but which Josh correctly did) is that the price you pay for LISP's self-modifying ability to do anything is that, for any significant real-world functionality, LISP code takes more time to write, more time to modify/maintain, and more time to run.

Like most tools, the value of LISP is context-sensitive: it's good for some things, not so good for other things. So while Greenspun's Tenth Rule might be facially true, at a larger (actual real world project development) level it's less meaningful. Yes, at a certain level of code complexity you probably are reinventing some features you get for "free" in Common LISP. But you're also probably getting code that, because it is custom-written in a less general-purpose and thus more performative language, runs faster and can more easily be understood and enhanced by normal human beings.

LISP is awesome... but not for everything. ;)

JoshParnell wrote: It's probably true. At some point I think everyone who builds a sufficiently large system will start to see that the only way to really collapse all of the complexity is to look at it like...pure math / functionalism, like lisp. So seems a reasonable point :) I definitely wonder what LT would look like had it been written functionally from the beginning.

Course, it wouldn't be running at 100 FPS ;)
I've definitely been drinking the Clojure koolaid recently. I hate that it doesn't have a static type system (though the core.typed project is working on an optional one, but I'm skeptical), and heterogeneous collections seem like a really bad idea to me, but I really dig the homoiconicity and the community is really productive, creative and responsive. There's even an existing Clojure library that does pretty much what my River project that I sent you recently does (though it lacks laziness and therefore doesn't scale as well I think): http://www.infoq.com/presentations/Cloj ... pt-Javelin.
Flatfingers wrote:What LISP fans don't mention (but which Josh correctly did) is that the price you pay for LISP's self-modifying ability to do anything is that, for any significant real-world functionality, LISP code takes more time to write, more time to modify/maintain, and more time to run.
Not to turn this into an age old functional/imperative flame war, but I actually have to disagree w/ the "more time to write/modify/maintain" bit. Functional programming is a very different mindset than imperative programming, but in a similar, but deeper way that English is a different mindset than Chinese. It doesn't mean Chinese takes more time to write. I just haven't learned it so it takes more time for me since I have to look up each thing in the book first. I recently used Clojure to build a tool to generate a certain type of logic puzzle and found it to be a very low-friction experience. It was much quicker to implement in Clojure and port to C++ than to develop initially in C++. It has taken a few years to get my mind to think functionally, but now that I do it's much more pleasant and quick, and far far less error prone than reasoning imperatively.

Clojure is actually pretty fast too. Certainly not anywhere as fast as Josh's well tuned C++, but faster than you might think. The persistent data structures it is built with are really phenomenal.

I understand, negascout. Making that switch took some time when I taught myself LISP [mumpty mumble] years ago. I never got good at it, but I got good enough to know that -- as with many computer programming languages -- once you use it enough it gets easier. There was a time when I was writing everything in various flavors of assembly language. :)

But to be clear, I didn't just aver that LISP takes more time to write and enhance in a universal way -- I said it takes more time for some problems. There are things it's good at, and things it's not so good at. I could write device drivers in C; I don't think I'd want to try to do that in Prolog. At the same time, there are things I don't want to try to do in C. (That's one reason why I transitioned to Java.)

Which goes back to my point about GTR: yes, you get some stuff for "free" when you choose to use LISP... but there are costs as well. There is no one Perfect Language -- different tools work better for different functional purposes.

I don't think I'd want to live in a house whose builder thought that the only tool he needed was a hammer. ;)

(Note: Josh may prove me wrong with his notion of a node-based visual language for software development. Maybe that is the Perfect Language that can do everything reasonably well. If so, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong... but with respect to Josh, I don't think that's going to happen. Structure implies contextual fitness. But we'll see. :) )

Online Now