Return to “Technical”

Re: Beta Timeframe ?

davidilm37 wrote: The sooner the better obviously !Thanks.
this goes without saying but hes already got a SUBSTANTIAL amount of pressure on him and a billion and one features to add.... i dont see any way that he release for quite some time yet. would i be happy to play just what he has now? yes but then i seem easy to please XD I would also prefer waiting for him to be happy with the game/code/content before letting it go to us because once its in our hand his work truly beins s we start getting some first hands experience and explode these foums with feedback.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Kayse wrote:Josh mentioned in another thread that a very, very rough initial estimate is at least 9 months from end of KS to having the Beta ready.
Yes, that would be a very rough estimate. Please don't take it to heart, but understand that it will be no earlier than 9 months!

Sorry guys, but I really don't want to speculate about something so far off!!!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Trekiecub wrote:In that case, you could pick a few people to Alpha test some of your work to date, and help make that 9 month time frame.
Heh heh.
“The impact of space activities is nothing less than the galvanizing of hope and imagination for human life continuum into a future of infinite possibility.”

Trekiecub wrote:In that case, you could pick a few people to Alpha test some of your work to date, and help make that 9 month time frame.
Alpha testing requires a completed product. There is, as yet, no completed product, as made clear by the dev logs. There is a skeleton of a game, requiring a great deal more effort to turn out even a playable prototype, let alone an alpha build.

Testers will not improve chances of reaching the 9 month date. That is entirely dependent upon what obstacles Josh hits in coding as he tackles each portion of the game and how quickly he can figure out how to resolve them. Testers are not of use until much later in the process, when it comes to tracking down bugs and validating behaviors of an integrated whole.
I am 42.

One of the pledge levels on the KS was alpha testing. I'm sure that Josh will have more information when he gets closer to having something complete.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
One of the pledge levels on the KS was combat prototype testing. I'm sure that Josh will have more information when he gets closer to having something complete.
Indeed, although keep in mind the difference :)

And, as Kayse said, alpha testers won't really help get things done faster. I'm not bugfixing everyday, in fact, in general I have very few bug problems. But designing the game architecture and implementing it cleanly takes time, and that's where most of those 9 months will go!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now