Return to “Technical”

Re: Linux and OpenGL version

Rabcor wrote:SteamBox/SteamOS, i got some info on the steambox earlier this year where valve had experimental nvidia drivers, this leads me to believe that valve which is actively trying to push gaming to linux has made some sort of contract (or similar) with nvidia to convince nvidia to make better linux drivers so that their SteamBox which is probaby meant to ship with an Nvidia GPU will not suck when it's released.
Further reading for interested parties:

Nvidia seeks peace with Linux, pledges help on open source driver
AMD, Nvidia ramp up Linux driver support after Valve's SteamOS announcement
{Nouveau} offer to help, DCB
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Rabcor's AMD Mantle offensive, i find nvidia's openGL on par,openGL = nvidia's OpenGL = win over AMD's Mantle!!!

I find AMD's mantle concept offensive. It's bad enough that gamers are torn between operating systems already because of DirectX, if mantle is a success we'll also be torn between hardware too (AMD/NVIDIA GPUs) which is a total disaster! they're just mimicking Microsoft's business trickery with their Mantle bullcrap.

If you're gonna make an API, do it friggin right for once in your lives stupid companies... It's fine by me if game devs are gonna take some time to make their game compatible with 2 APIs (DirectX & OpenGL or Mantle & OpenGL) this has been done in a lot of past games somewhere near 2000 give or take a few years. But that's just a lot of extra work, unless AMD provides a tool to port OpenGL/DirectX code easily over to mantle i'd rather not see it used at all to the point of boycotting :roll: just when valve was about to succeed in making console games more backwards commpatible with PCs, AMD has to come along and try to fuck it all up.

It would be fine by me if nvidia stepped it up and made their own "Mantle" so that devs could instead of focusing on an API that's compatible with an operating system just use both Nvidia's and AMDs API so everyone gets to be happy regardless of hardware. What would really be for the best would be if Nvidia followed amd, and instead of making their own mantle they would just work with AMD to make mantle compatible and equally good for both their cards. As competitors however i sadly don't see that happening :( wouldn't the world be better if they were all just friends over there?

Someone else's thoughts

I disagree with most of his points on SteamOS/SteamBox, from what i understand porting from linux to anything else should be a breeze. Also, the SteamBox will use Nvidia cards (as i said before i knew they had experimental nvidia drivers in some repository shortly after the announcement of the box, and well.. this)

Mantle seems to be going to be unsupported for both PS4 and Xbone, making it quite the failure since that hting is unneeded (and by many unwanted) on PC either way. What i'm interested in is the API that sony is making for their PS4, it's supposed to have all the power of DX11 and more as well as being lower level than DirectX and OpenGL allowing for more optimization and finesse/precision. If that thing is cross platform i am sold. I want my games made on that!
This is where the cat is from and yes you should definitely watch that.

codeape wrote:Mesa 10.0 Delivers Many Exciting New Features
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTUyNzg

Ohh and by the way, 21-Way Open-Source AMD/Intel/NVIDIA GPU Benchmarks On Linux:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... gpus&num=1
Yo! :shock:
Mesa has really caught up. I remember using an Radeon HD3800, 5 years ago that barely worked with proprietary drivers. Maybe it's time to consider ATI as an option again when I'm out for a new card.

Although I don't mind installing Nvidia's driver, it's kinda funky using their custom made installer in an old-school tty console. 8-)

Code: Select all

,-_/           .         
  /  ,-. ,-. ,-| ,-. ,-. 
 /   |-' ,-| | | ,-| |   
/--, `-' `-^ `-' `-^ '

The Limit Theory "Combat Prototype" was a windows-only pre-alpha version of the game available as a kickstarter reward for people who backed at the $75 tier or above.

Unfortunately, if you missed the Kickstarter, you'll have to wait for the game's release to get your hands on the game. :cry:

But on the upside, the release version of LT will have a Linux client. :D
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

Sorry, I am back =)

I know that you have had some problems with Mesa Josh ... the Mesa shader compiler in particular ... However it looks like the Mesa shader compiler will get a cache =)
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTcwNzk

Initial tests looks promising. An example, 50% improvement for Left 4 Dead 2 startup =)

Ok ok I have seen that people in this thread is not that exited over Mesa. However, if it works on Mesa, more people can play it on Linux =) ... more customers for Josh =) :thumbup:

Online Now