Return to “Technical”

Re: Specs?

ChainsawHands wrote:I know it's a bit soon to know exactly, but roughly what sort of spec of machine are you aiming to have Limit Theory running on?
Hey Chainsaw, that's a good question, I'm just going to copy the FAQ that I recently put up on KS:
Although I can't give you exact specs yet, I can tell you that the game won't require a whole lot of power to run. If you're used to playing modern games on your PC, then you'll be just fine.

To give you a bit of perspective, the first three months of development took place exclusively on my laptop, which has a Core 2 Duo processor and Intel HD3000 graphics chip. In other words, a laptop with just about zero gaming capability. Even with these specs, I was able to run smoothly at medium quality.

The LT Engine is quite efficient, but it also doesn't leverage any extremely expensive graphical techniques, so you shouldn't have to worry much about your specs!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:To give you a bit of perspective, the first three months of development took place exclusively on my laptop, which has a Core 2 Duo processor and Intel HD3000 graphics chip. In other words, a laptop with just about zero gaming capability. Even with these specs, I was able to run smoothly at medium quality.

The LT Engine is quite efficient, but it also doesn't leverage any extremely expensive graphical techniques, so you shouldn't have to worry much about your specs!
That's impressive, considering the game looks quite pretty!

insolent wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:To give you a bit of perspective, the first three months of development took place exclusively on my laptop, which has a Core 2 Duo processor and Intel HD3000 graphics chip. In other words, a laptop with just about zero gaming capability. Even with these specs, I was able to run smoothly at medium quality.

That's the beauty of custom OpenGL engines!
Will the game be very CPU-intensive (you know, for simulating all that AI and such), and if so, will it make use of multiple cores or some kind of threading for the less important stuff?
That reminds me: have you thought about what will happen to distant places while you are away? Will there be any kind of simulation going on, even if it's highly abstracted? Or will time "freeze" once you leave an area? Have you thought how are you going to tackle this?

EDIT: Getting off-topic here, but is travel free-roam (as in Evochron), system-based (X, Escape Velocity...) or instantiated (Eve)?

EDIT2: I see you answered some of this here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13

Johnman wrote:
insolent wrote:

That's the beauty of custom OpenGL engines!
Will the game be very CPU-intensive (you know, for simulating all that AI and such), and if so, will it make use of multiple cores or some kind of threading for the less important stuff?
That reminds me: have you thought about what will happen to distant places while you are away? Will there be any kind of simulation going on, even if it's highly abstracted? Or will time "freeze" once you leave an area? Have you thought how are you going to tackle this?

EDIT: Getting off-topic here, but is travel free-roam (as in Evochron), system-based (X, Escape Velocity...) or instantiated (Eve)?

EDIT2: I see you answered some of this here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13
Yes, hopefully it will utilize your CPU quite well on multiple cores, especially for AI. And of course! Simulation will continue in systems even when you're not in them. Yes, I have thought about tackling it, I will basically be making a level-of-detail system for AI simulation.

Travel is system-based. In other words, you travel freely within a system, but have to find a jump gate/wormhole to get to another system. The best analogy I can provide is Freelancer!

JoshParnell wrote: Travel is system-based. In other words, you travel freely within a system, but have to find a jump gate/wormhole to get to another system. The best analogy I can provide is Freelancer!
Josh, ever played I-WAR 2 EdgeOfChaos ?
It's one the VERY few space sims (tbh the only one I know) that deals with realistic interplanetary distances.
It has three ways of travel:
1. the well known newtonian reaction based way for "interacting" with others (trading, fighting :mrgreen: )
2. an "advanced technology" intrasystem drive, kind of "local space compression" in front of the ship by "virtual mass"
3. intra- as well as intERsystem travel by special "jump points" (located at LaGrange points as places of "special gravitational" properties)

IMO much better than FreeLancer.

Tiel wrote:I hate to be a log in the damp dirt here, but how could one possibly have a GPU that only comes integrated with Intel's 2011 Sandy Bridge processors inside a 2009 Core 2 Duo?
Hi Tiel! It is a very good question and it turns out I made a mistake on that!! Someone mentioned it in another forum and I was embarrassed when I checked again and realized that I don't have an HD3000, I have a GeForce 9400M.

I've updated the FAQ accordingly (this was yesterday). Sorry, I'm not too knowledgeable about laptop GPUs!

At any rate, the correct spec for my laptop is Core 2 Duo and GeForce 9400M (it is Dell Studio 14z).

Anyway, sorry for that confusion :)

Skyfligher wrote:Will you utilize high end graphic technologies for those who have decent GPUs, or will it be more CPU heavy from what you have done so far?
The technologies will be roughly the same, although there will be a few high-end techs (like SSAO, for example). But with a better GPU you can push up the quality of the content so, for example. planets, asteroids, nebulae, etc. will all look significantly more detailed.

Online Now