Return to “Technical”

Re: Nvidia Quadro RTX

The upside about LT taking so long to develop: Since LT can scale up with more processing power, by the time it releases, everyone's computers will be much better than they were during the KS. Though I imagine that a mid-tier laptop from 2012 will still be the min specs.

A budget Gaming Laptop in 2012 (Acer Aspire S250-0639 E-Series , couldn't find link to buy):
1.65 GHz AMD 450
4 GB of DDR3
320 GB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 4250
MSRP: $370

One of the top Gaming Laptops of 2012:
2.3 GHz Core i7-3610
4 GB DDR3
750 GB HDD
AMD Radeon HD 7970M
MSRP: $1538

An unremarkable laptop in 2018:
2.7 GHz AMD A12-9720
8 GB DDR4
1 TB HDD
AMD Radeon R7 240
MSRP: $392

A High-end price-equivalent Gaming Laptop in 2018:
3.8 GHz Core i7-7700
32 GB DDR4
1 TB HDD + 256GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
MSRP: $1549

I can only imagine how stunning LT will be with stuff like that. It will be like comparing an Abacus to a Quantum computer :ghost:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Cody wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:55 am
DirectX 12 required, I presume. No use for us Win7 holdouts.
I understand skipping 8, but 10 is actually pretty good.
Much faster load times, and while patches are pretty much forced, I haven't had issues with patches for 10 yet, in business or home use.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

I have WX on another HDD, having tried it out during the freebie stage. Yes, it's fast and works well, but it looks ugly. More importantly, it's what came with it as regards the attitude, the force-feeding, the forced updates, and the data slurping. It's become a point of principle for me (and others), and M$ will never see another cent of my money! If that means I cannot play the latest games, so be it. Win7 should see me out - if it doesn't, I'll switch to Linux for my twilight years, and flip the finger at that coño SatNad!
Oolite Naval Attaché

Cody wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:59 am
I have WX on another HDD, having tried it out during the freebie stage. Yes, it's fast and works well, but it looks ugly. More importantly, it's what came with it as regards the attitude, the force-feeding, the forced updates, and the data slurping. It's become a point of principle for me (and others), and M$ will never see another cent of my money! If that means I cannot play the latest games, so be it. Win7 should see me out - if it doesn't, I'll switch to Linux for my twilight years, and flip the finger at that coño SatNad!
i paid like 2.5% for my windows license by virtue of getting a university license.
seems like a good enough middle finger to me :V

at least in terms of "not seeing another cent"

(i paid 8€ for my license)

I paid a bit extra for the Pro version of Win 10 specifically so that I could control when to download and install updates. Worth every penny.

I do still have to go back and disable Microsoft's horrible phone-home "analytics" after each major update. Fortunately those don't happen too often.

OK, back to ray-tracing!

Apparently UE4 is getting extensions to use Microsoft's DXR ray-tracing API. Epic have used this (working with Nvidia, I think) to create a short "Captain Phasma" film for SIGGRAPH 2018 to showcase how real-time ray-tracing can support a "virtual film studio."

Online Now