Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Gameplay Ideas

Hey Josh,

haven't seen it yet, maybe I am blind, or maybe it's because it's 2 am haha

But have you released any content or ideas towards damage system?
I mean parts being able to be damaged, or blown away, affecting your effectiveness in combat, flying, jumping away, etc.
I think being able to cripple enemies and ebing crippled and having to escape on your last breath, is an awesome thing :D

Unboring mining! Example idea: instead of a mining laser, use mobile mining platforms and drones that are deployed. The player is then able to do other, more interesting things and return later to pick up the mined supplies.
David -- Proud to be saving the world since 1984

croxis wrote:Unboring mining! Example idea: instead of a mining laser, use mobile mining platforms and drones that are deployed. The player is then able to do other, more interesting things and return later to pick up the mined supplies.
+1 to that! I strongly agree that set-and-forget mining should be available, for a price. Although I do think personal mining should still be allowed in the form of using a physical drill to break up the asteroid. Once the asteroid is broken up a bit, the player could then either (1) send out drones out to grab freed ore chunks, or (2) the drill could drag all the rock through the ship, which processes it and spits out the unwanted stuff.

insolent wrote:
croxis wrote:Unboring mining! Example idea: instead of a mining laser, use mobile mining platforms and drones that are deployed. The player is then able to do other, more interesting things and return later to pick up the mined supplies.
+1 to that! I strongly agree that set-and-forget mining should be available, for a price. Although I do think personal mining should still be allowed in the form of using a physical drill to break up the asteroid. Once the asteroid is broken up a bit, the player could then either (1) send out drones out to grab freed ore chunks, or (2) the drill could drag all the rock through the ship, which processes it and spits out the unwanted stuff.
Same problem though; it isn't very fun for the player. Unless the player somehow makes "interesting choices" through the act of drilling. Mining certain types of ore means you lose out on other types, etc. Getting mining to be interesting would be a lot of development time, it may just be easier to just use drop and forget mining, which can range from feeble temporary platforms which wouldn't survive a single laser hit to massive, self defending, complicated permanent rigs.
David -- Proud to be saving the world since 1984

@seamless landing into planets here is my take:

Pros:
  • Ability to experience combat within atmospheres and firing into atmospheres at ships, cities.
  • Possible advantage in combat
  • Tactical choice of entering atmosphere could a.) Limit speed by risk of damaging ship b.) Some atmospheres disrupt targeting & sensors c.) Gas giants could have valuable resources only specialized ships could reach in one piece d.) Heat from reentry could be a issue requiring proper decent to take no damage e.) Siege planets which could open diplomatic options and ultimatums.
  • View the scenery within the atmosphere
  • Gather, scan, steal resources from the planet directly through a.) transporters b.) direct landing to take c.) grappling onto cargo d.)setting up autonomous miners.
  • Launch probes into planet/gas giants to scan for valuables and tactical data.
Cons:
  • Slow auto-pilot landing
  • Time consuming to implement
  • Risk to ship and possible disadvantage in combat
  • Cause faction relationship to turn hostile depending on if permission was granted to land and actions taken but the opposite can be said.
  • Might cause lag
  • Might be too difficult to make

Compromises if system implemented:
  • Solution to slow landing: a.) Toggle option to have instant landing b.) atmosphere only extends so far then you instantly land this could allow atmosphere combat to happen c.) Hailing the surface to arrange your cargo to be shuttled to you.
  • Risk to ship and combat disadvantage solution: a.) specialized ship system or overhaul to be better prepared b.) fly in a skillful way to avoid damage.

Mini-games. They add more forms of interaction with NPCs. One possibility is a Hovis race. I hated that race, but I beat it eventually. Looking back maybe I did not like the way it was done, but I felt it added to the fun value of the overall game.
Image To boldly go where no one has gone before

Ringo wrote:Mini-games. They add more forms of interaction with NPCs. One possibility is a Hovis race. I hated that race, but I beat it eventually. Looking back maybe I did not like the way it was done, but I felt it added to the fun value of the overall game.
I think this mini-games should be inerent to the game content and not thrown there just for fun. I mean something like the poker table in Red Dead Redemption, that's a lot of fun!
I suggest making some kind of futuristic and at the same time classic game re-designed for LT.
Image roma

Ok guys, thanks for all your ideas, but I think I did a bad job of organizing the forums in this respect.

Let's move ideas over to the "suggestions" forum so that we can keep track of them :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now