Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Planet Ownership

Bele wrote:I'm pretty sure the jump drives on large ships are for jumping between systems.
mostlikely. but they would alow you to make the jump from any poitn in the system without having to use system gates or worm holes. wonder if they would let ou jump instintly or if they have a warm up period. would make combat interesting if you could jump to a point in the same system like in home world. i cant tell how many fights ive won by using timed jumps to out maneuver an enemy.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

aspman wrote:1> the player would have to return to the planet in order to manage it, so all the logic & code for that planet can be coded within the planet object rather than ships, which may help especailly if planet 2 is totally different from planet 1 and we do end up with a cut down sim city mini game to play on each planet.
While I don't claim to be an expert on coding, unless there's some fundamental aspect of the game engine obstructing this I can say that the player having to return to a planet to manage it will not significantly change how the system for this can be programmed, simply because the location of things within the game world (again, unless Josh is doing something really weird with his engine) does not affect which things can interact at the program level. If you understand what I mean.

Well, I'll give it shot I guess.

According to Josh already we'll be able to hire pilots for our extra ships. My first question will be will there be some sort of process for having to hire a pilot? Or will they just flop out of sub-space once we own more than one ship? But even if they just sort of popped up when needed, how are they controlled? Simply by direct command and do or "follow me" type inputs? I have been envisioning some sort of "interview process" where as whoever shows up to pilot your ship for you, you can choose out of a few applicants with different char traits i.e. passive/aggressive style or offensive or defensive style of combat. Or having to choose between a slightly dumber pilot that is reliable or a highly effective pilot that takes more risks? As far as the "interview" I really just mean like I said choosing out of some pilots available at whatever station or perhaps hiring one where you then adjust the sliders in key areas or even a pilot that gradually learns your style of play and begins to anticipate your commands?

Now, all that said should apply exactly the same for when/if one decides to command/own/lord over a planet. Your prime minister of the planet can apply an aggressive/passive logic to procedural situations on the planets. High/low wages effect factory/miner worker morale but affect the output of mines and factories with an increase or decrease in population content/discontent. Which also can be accompanied by a merciful or a ruthless overlord you put in place to run the planet while you are smelling interstellar flowers and whatnot. Any event not covered by instruction you can be contacted for a decision provided perhaps you are in some realistic proximity to allow for communication otherwise your adviser makes the decision on their own based on your previous manner of rule. Something like this should all fit nicely in procedural coding and would be a good give and take between micromanaging(more decisions put to you the closer you are to your empire locations-decreasing to only the most important the further out you are) and being able to set up the planetary economy or slave colony however you wish and then being free to go away and not having a completely different place by the time you come back to check on it.

Any thoughts guys?
"The end is always coming, and the beginning will never come back..." --Nutty

Online Now