Return to “Suggestions”

Faction Shipyards (including your faction)

I have a good idea for how ships for factions might be selected and produced, including yours. So, here it is.

Obviously, if every faction has the same ship types and looks, then the universe will lose its appeal. So, to prevent that, each faction will create its own custom ships. The idea is to have an AI in a faction shipyard that is presented with a list of radically different procedurally generated ships and styles. The AI will then make a choice as to which ship style it wants, and new forms will keep generating until it picks one. That will determine the style of the ships of that faction, and, therefore, every ship of that faction produced afterwards will have the same colors, logo, and so on. When the faction wants to issue a new type of ship, it will be presented with a new list of procedural forms, but will retain the color and logo and general trademark design (like a curvy design or a frigate-like style) so that, although many different types of ships for that faction will be created, you will still be able to look at any of them and tell exactly which faction they belong to.

This can also work with your shipyards. Upon entering the interface of one, (if you haven't already created your ship style) you will be presented with an infinite list of different styles, forms, colors, designs and so on. You can then select the one/ones you like the most, and all ships afterwards will be produced according to those characteristics. Whenever you want to issue a new type of ship, you enter again, click something like "create new model" and then scroll through the (infinite again) list of similar ships generated (according to the characteristics specified the first time), until you find one you like. You can also perhaps specify whether it is going to be a fighter type or something like a dreadnought (maybe sliders to adjust size, durability, and checkboxes for types like combat or industrial).

So, how does my idea sound? Impossible, unlikely, probable, post LT 1.0, or what :D :lol: Feel free to comment on it below (well duh)
Personally I would like it to be in...
Devoted to providing LT with daily doses of eureka moments.
Re: Faction Shipyards (including your faction)

Oh this also means that you could, to a certain extent, customize your own ship by selecting characteristics in a shipyard and producing that ship, so, while still procedural, you still get a ship that YOU have chosen the looks and type and style of.

Also there could be a sort of bookmark system so you could bookmark characteristics or ships that you have designed and you can bring them up in any shipyard (as a blueprint perhaps) and as long as you have enough money you could pay the faction's shipyard to build that ship for you.

And I just had another Eureka...

So I mentioned before that factions would choose the characteristics, profession, colors and so on of their ships. But how about this: They also respond to their environment. So, for example, those that reside in or discover sectors rich in valuable minerals will be more likely to choose industrialized ships for a miner's life. Or, if they are faced with hostility from a nearby faction, they will produced more combat-focused ships.

Also, factions could learn from certain events and respond to it by issuing new types of ship (though still recognizable as one of theirs, obviously). If a faction that is engaged in a war with one of their neighbors and is producing battleships finds an ore-rich sector, they may issue mining barges, which can mine ore, sell it for a profit in stations, and use the money to produce more battleships to fuel the war, and more mining barges to help with the operation.

That would make factions a lot more interesting in my opinion.

It could also mean that you could buy ore from a mining corporation for low prices, go to a faction that is in need of resources to aid in a war, and sell the ores there for significantly more than you brought them for.

Now the question here is, are there going to be procedural currencies, and, if so, will you be able to exchange them?

Or will there be a general/universal currency?

Or will there be regional currencies for areas of the universe?

And will you be able to trade goods and products for upgrades and such?

I suppose the value of procedural goods will fluctuate depending on what's happening.

I think we should have one currency throughout. Otherwise stuff gets messy with exchange rates and so on.
The value of goods (and services, presumably) is expected to follow supply and demand. Therefore, agents which have high demand of a given good would pay more for it, particularly if it's a scarce good. You should be able to manipulate supply easily (by either damaging supply lines or flooding the market) and demand with some effort (perhaps by introducing a pirate threat that would demand more ship construction).

S46 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:55 am
Now the question here is, are there going to be procedural currencies, and, if so, will you be able to exchange them?

Or will there be a general/universal currency?

Or will there be regional currencies for areas of the universe?

And will you be able to trade goods and products for upgrades and such?

I suppose the value of procedural goods will fluctuate depending on what's happening.
As to not derail this thread, may I point you to a few threads which are about currency in Limit Theory and might answer your questions?

This one about the currency symbol, and this one about how credits are used.

If neither of these answer your question then feel free to make a new thread. Though I think the second one is what you are looking for.

S46 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 am
BFett wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:35 am

This one about the currency symbol
Every universe has a different currency symbol and name - procedural game, right XD
Not necessarily. Though that could easily be one of the things that changes from game to game. Josh can generate any number of logos and icons for various uses within LT. It's more of a what algorithm portrays the icon which resonates with most humans as something that makes sense. Which is why work is being done on the station and ship algorithms.

What should be procedural and what if anything should be fixed?

Josh DID say that everything in the game would be procedural...

But I'd like things that are better varied to be procedural, (more like physical environment and game world stuff) while things that would be confusing with procedural variants stay fixed (more UI based stuff) although things like procedural loading screens and procedural background UI gifs would look nice.

Although we could have any number of procedural symbols as long as it's clearly shown that it's your wallet and it's labelled so.

S46 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:08 am
Josh DID say that everything in the game would be procedural...
yeaaah no :P
procedural everything isnt nearly as cool as you seem to think :P

i like to be able to read the interface language and know which symbol means what on the interface without having to relearn everything when i start a new game :P
i'd also like to have functional, integrated mechanics for the game and not have that change everytime either :P

Online Now