Return to “Suggestions”

Targeting System/Overview

I was thinking there should be some kind of targeting system and overview to where the overview shows objects in a certain area around you.

And for the targeting system I was wondering if there was going to be one or if it was going to be open fire in the sense you control your gun?

Also will there be skills you have to train or does it depend on you wallet size on how big of a ship you can fly?

-Naskamu
Re: Targeting System/Overview

as far as the targeting system goes ive no idea. but about the ships why limit yourself to skills or a licence?

some systems might require you to have a flight license to drive that capital class star liner you and a few npc buddies stole... but would that honestly stop you from driving it? while yes it might take know how to drive or captain a larger ship whos to say your trusty copilot dosent know how to drive one from years working as a freight hauler?
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Naskamu wrote:I was thinking there should be some kind of targeting system and overview to where the overview shows objects in a certain area around you.

And for the targeting system I was wondering if there was going to be one or if it was going to be open fire in the sense you control your gun?

Also will there be skills you have to train or does it depend on you wallet size on how big of a ship you can fly?

-Naskamu
Some sort of overview will most likely make it's way into the game and will probably heavily depend on what sensors your ship has installed. In the same manner I would like the targeting systems to be dependent on the ship modules, if you want to spend the money and computing power to have a fully automated targeting system instead of, say, high end sensors I think the game should let you, and on the same note let you play without targeting systems if you feel like it.

Unless Josh changes his mind there wont be any character skills in the game at all.

"Brian: Speaking of the player, will there be any kind of reputation or role playing system involved? For example, will the game track your kills and give you experience, as well as sour your reputation with whomever you’ve killed most, for example?

Josh: Yes, there will certainly be role playing elements. The game will track kills and other influential actions, as well as your reputation with factions. Your actions can and will influence the way NPCs view you, both at the individual as well at the faction level. On the other hand, there will be no experience or skill system – all skills must be learnt by you, the player, not by your character."
http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/featured ... -timiness/
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

i like the idea of there not being 'skills' per say in the game. to me skills are important in defining what you can and cant do. because if everyone was able to master and do everything no one would do anything. to give an example. years ago I played Runescape ( I know I know give me a break XD ) but in that game there are skills and no limit on who can do what. so naturally everyone dose everything until they are maxed out and then all you do is brag about what your skill is...and that 55 thousand other ppl have the same score. same thing for games without skills such as minecraft sand box game no skills and no limits on what you can do outside of what you the controller can do. so what do i do? nothing. ive done everything i can think of (and even begged borrowed and stole ideas from others ) and now i just wonder the lands looking at the cool terrain features and while nice I dont consider it much of a game so much as an interactive screensaver now. XD . (where was i going with this again....) back to the pint skills should not become a focus of the game but represent what your person knows what to do. you want to haul freight for the imperial court mining company show us your freight haulers license. you want to join the rebel army show us your useful by doing X. so not so much skill but more about know how.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

As far as targeting goes, I'd like to see it handled simply in a couple of ways:

1) By using keyboard bindings like in every other space sim (e.g., Target object in cursor, target nearest hostile, target nearest friendly, target nearest cargo ship, cycle through targets, etc.)

2) By using the top-down RTS interface Josh has discussed. I'd like to be able to see a starmap, with pop-up balloons pointing to stars to show there are ships you own in those solar systems. I'd like to be able to select those ships I own right from the pop-up balloons in the galaxy map, or zoom into a certain star to see a close-up of the solar system, and use my mouse to select my ships visualized in the solar system. Then I'd like to be able to right click on other solar systems or targets to issue commands to my selected ships. That way, you could "target"/command ships from the starmap in an RTS style.

Online Now