Return to “Suggestions”

Traffic Control

I would like to see some basic Space Traffic Control implemented into LT. I'm not talking about full on Falcon 4.0 ATC, but rather something like you get in IL-2. In IL-2, you simply request permission to land, and get a yes or no. In LT, it would be something like:

"Palo Station, T4565 inbound to dock."

"T4565, cleared to dock, proceed inbound. Caution the Garuda on final."

If we had something like this, it would add much immersion, and any old idiot knows the difference between "cleared to dock", and "go-around". It would also avoid things like two ships racing for a port to buy up the stock first, leading to a collision. I've also found that free-for-all taking-off and landing is ridiculous, and that it totally breaks immersion. The argument that you would need to learn how to use it is totally bogus too, since again, anyone can tell the difference between "cleared for takeoff", and "hold position, two for takeoff".
Re: Traffic Control

Something simple you could do is make sure each port has enough capacity and smart enough air control so that never happens - something like the ATC tells the undocking merchant ship has to make a course correction to get out of your way in the next 30 seconds?

I'd still like to be able to let my autopilot handle the landing negotiations and just give me a warning if I have to pay for landing (or something).
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Make it optional. Then both sides would be satisfied.

Perhaps even as a slider with more than two options between "traffic control everywhere" and "no traffic control at all". There also could be "traffic control at big stations only" or "at big stations and carriers only". The small, hidden pirates' nest would still have no traffic control (and much less traffic anyway) then.

The way X3 does it is nice... You can either communicate yourself and fly to the station, you can let the autopilot do it, or have a docking computer that just takes care of everything.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

One way to do is it to allow the player to shortcut anything like landing.

When a player is in queue to land somewhere, the computer gives precedence to the player. This means that if you want to land, you don't have to wait 15 minutes, but if you're just flying by and see a long queue, it gets processed in a normal fashion.

Yeah, it is a little bit of hand waving, but it would allow the best of both worlds, IMO.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

another thing to consider here would be your relation to the planets factions. planets are massive and if you have friends in high (or low) places you might not even have to use a public landing route. OR if you own the planet i dont think landing will be an issue XD.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

It would be interesting to implement voice commands if this came to fruition. Though I'm not entirely sure how comfortable wearing a headset and the Rift would be. Would definitely up the level of immersion I think. I wouldn't go as far as literally waiting in line to dock, but a simple docking request would be cool.

Soler wrote:It would be interesting to implement voice commands if this came to fruition. Though I'm not entirely sure how comfortable wearing a headset and the Rift would be. Would definitely up the level of immersion I think. I wouldn't go as far as literally waiting in line to dock, but a simple docking request would be cool.
This doesn't even have to be in game, as long as shortkeys are. There are programs that let you translate speech into actions on the keyboard, so you could use one of those. :)

If the Nav+HUD can display course markers, then you could be guided along a traffic path into the docking cone, maybe with a nice stack of fly-through gates for the final approach. Manual or autopilot.

Maybe there could be a "priority" status whereby you jump to the head of the queue, and get a fast track in.

It also makes sense that players in a hurry could set the game options to skip the whole thing.

Online Now