Return to “Suggestions”

Re: beginner in programming

No, especially app development is very performance sensitive. You cant just say: just get a bigger graphics card.
Consumers have all ranges of phones. And popular apps cant risk to neglect a large portion of the consumer-base.

App developers have a bigger eye on performance issued than the average corporate clientside-do-some-task-GUI programmer.
Last edited by Damocles on Tue May 30, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Damocles wrote: Learn a "real" language if you want to architect larger commercial software projects (C,C++,Java...)
dont encourage people to use java for large projects.
i ran across a couple of those projects on the consumer side (in a professional environment)
it all ran like crap and not something one should be able to sell to people who want to get shit done.
We use Java for our software :ghost:

Well, to be fair, the core functionality is all C++ and Java is mostly used as GUI wrapper and for less performance intensive stuff, but still.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Cornflakes_91 wrote:(...) on PC crawling along like its working memory is a tape recorder in tibetian hinterlands.
I had to laugh because of this analogy. :lol:

But yeah, I will not use Java for BIG stuff anyways. There are better languages for work heavy programs out there. Java is good for direct GUI with a program in the background or for clients that have to run on a lot of different OS.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Cornflakes_91 wrote:i can see java as an interface layer, yeah.
but for anything more... *shudders*
For the mostpart your interface layers should be dropped from Java now, and moved to web based interfaces.
Fast server (C, or something), connecting via web sockets to a browser front-end, using JSON or equivalent text based data structures to communicate.

This makes your software platform agnostic.
Throw HTTPS on the webserver, and use secure web sockets, and you have all the security you require as well.

Prevent legacy hardware/software. Rebuild into a modern structure.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:i can see java as an interface layer, yeah.
but for anything more... *shudders*
For the mostpart your interface layers should be dropped from Java now, and moved to web based interfaces.
Fast server (C, or something), connecting via web sockets to a browser front-end, using JSON or equivalent text based data structures to communicate.

This makes your software platform agnostic.
Throw HTTPS on the webserver, and use secure web sockets, and you have all the security you require as well.

Prevent legacy hardware/software. Rebuild into a modern structure.
And then you have the problem of cross-browser compatibility. :lol:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote:And then you have the problem of cross-browser compatibility. :lol:
Have you worked on stuff for modern browsers?
Incompatibility is down to about 1-3 pixels per element at worst.
IE10/11 was a real game changer for that front.

Now with <!DOCTYPE html> you get the same layout on any site, with all differences around inputs and forms.
Which can be resolved with a fairly easy css reset.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Silverware wrote:

Now with <!DOCTYPE html> you get the same layout on any site, with all differences around inputs and forms.
I did. And some of the CSS3 still doesn't work on all browsers. Or I just didn't use the proper CSS for each browser. :silent:
Nothing to see here

JanB1 wrote:
Silverware wrote:

I did. And some of the CSS3 still doesn't work on all browsers. Or I just didn't use the proper CSS for each browser. :silent:
Oh the new features, yeah, that's poor adoption.
Unfortunate, or I would be using layer 4 selectors.

Oh man when I first saw the $ selected I came. :V I want that so much.

div > $ul > li > a

Select the <ul>s that are children of a <div>, and have a child <li> with a child <a>
It's *REALLY* awesome stuff, that just hasn't been implemented into browsers yet. :(
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

JanB1 wrote:Well, just use classes for these specific cases. :D

So, every child of a certain class. ^^

So:

Code: Select all

ul.example > li > a
That means manual effort to select them.
You can do these layer 4 selectors with JQuery.

But these are all about allowing the guy who makes it pretty not have to know what the crap the idiot putting in the content is going to do.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Silverware wrote:
JanB1 wrote:Well, just use classes for these specific cases. :D

So, every child of a certain class. ^^

So:

Code: Select all

ul.example > li > a
That means manual effort to select them.
You can do these layer 4 selectors with JQuery.

But these are all about allowing the guy who makes it pretty not have to know what the crap the idiot putting in the content is going to do.
Well...hmm...yeah, fair enough. :problem:
Nothing to see here

Online Now