just some sprites

this isnt a very deep topic, just a thing that would be cool, no discussion to be seen here. go away.
i know most of the efects is currently placeholders so this is the time to come with ideas concerning them. so they wont be stuck later on, then its harder to change.
the idea is to use 2d animations of a relatively high resolution and curve them so they doesent seem so flat. imagine cutting a cake slice triangle off the top of a circle down to the "equator" and pasting one of these on it: Image animated though.
there is probbably a few fireworks or explosion vids on youtube these animations can be stolen from, however the best way to aquire the efect is if the top of the sprite displays the top of the explosion and the midle 45* from the top of the explosion and the botom of the picture displaying the 90* of the surface of the fhip thats exploding.
if you see it flat it would seem quite weird but when wrapped around a circular cakeslice thing (i hope this weak explanation of a shape works). i think it will look cool.

since the efect is still 2d "ish" i imagine it takes less power to do than 3d explosions.
in a distance theses can be just flat surfaces that always point towards the player though, i imagine the only place this is needed is at close range.

what would happen if i flew thrugh one? there can be a lot of brightness and fire displayed on the hud, this would hide the layering of explosions inside.

why do this sort of complicated thing to aquire an explosion efect? this makes explosions look semigood even from the top without using several pictures placed in diferent directions, it wil also look smooth when transisioning from top to side view. since i am an ordinary guy without much programming knowledge i imagine it will free up some space compared to 3d models (thats hard work.) and it looks so much smoother than flat surfaces. btw you may have to take the slice from a cyliner on the side instead when im thinking about it .

ps: make it a bent strip or something along those lines instead of a curved triangle.

the faults of this method can easaly be hidden with smoke and sparks ald LENSE FLARE. ooooh colors.
feel free to ignore this post josh.

Online Now