Return to “Suggestions”

The Parnell Space Sim Engine

Hello Josh and all,

It's probably been suggested, though I didn't see it skimming the "common ideas" post.

Since Elite Dangerous is out and Star Citizen and No Man's Sky are in the offing, have you thought about turning your creation into a space sim engine / space game construction set? Your current game work could be a working demo/model/play-out-of-the-box example.

The Unity Engine, the Unreal Engine and now the Parnell Engine... :D

-Jymm
Re: The Parnell Space Sim Engine

Welcome to the forums, Jymm! :wave:

Yes, this has been suggested before, and will likely play some part in my longer-term goals. Right now, of course, the goal is to get that so-called 'demonstration' of the engine finished!! But I do indeed see myself being interested in licensing the engine (or an even better version of it) once I've had more time to get all of that lined up after release. No doubt it would be a very helpful tool for some people, and I would love to help contribute to the space sim boon by making it easier for people to build cool space games.

In general, creating powertools to help game developers build awesome things more quickly is one of my strongest long-term desires -- basically, developing and providing PCG tech that lets everyone build the things they dream of building. That's what I want to be able to do someday!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Hello fellow space sim junkies, It's your friendly neighborhood lurker!

I don't mind another space engine being out there for licensing, The I-Novae engine is my favorite thus far, it's amazing, The LT engine isn't that shabby either, but I think what LT has going for it is the AI, I've always been a fan of the idea of a procedural behavior AI, maybe not entirely procedural, i've always had a problem with games because once i'm onto the AI pattern, i can exploit it, so i always felt that there was a lack of unpredictability in AI behavior, so maybe the introduction of some behavioral modification to the algorithm that makes the AI a bit less predictable would make things more interesting. But i Digress.

More space sims and space engines = happier space junkies, so the more the merrier, I'm psyched for june 21st and can't wait for LT to come out, been waiting for this project a long time!

Sunkenmonk wrote: More space sims and space engines = happier space junkies, so the more the merrier, I'm psyched for june 21st and can't wait for LT to come out, been waiting for this project a long time!
I'm psyched for june 21st and can't wait for LT to come out,
june 21st
Is there something you want to tell us?

0111narwhalz wrote:
Sunkenmonk wrote: More space sims and space engines = happier space junkies, so the more the merrier, I'm psyched for june 21st and can't wait for LT to come out, been waiting for this project a long time!
I'm psyched for june 21st and can't wait for LT to come out,
june 21st
Is there something you want to tell us?
its also unlikely that he knows the release date and the "usual suspects" not :lol:

The key word that was missed was "and". Other than that we all know that LT will likely release some time in the next 5 years, and will most certainly be in our hands within the next 10, assuming that Josh gets carried away to work on Star Citizen.

I'm currently just waiting for Josh to tell us that LT is at the place we last saw it about a year ago. Some screenshots would be nice, along with any music that has been shared in the video logs without Josh's voice over it. Basically anything that could inspire conversation about Limit Theory would be welcome at this point.

Online Now