Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Satellites, and other small craft

They would act as a physical waypoint that could be moved or destroyed. Trade ships could follow these routes. I understand our ships will likely have some very sophisticated navigational equipment, but a physical becon you can see and use for a landmark could be beneficial. It could add strategy also. Enemy fleets could pay special attention to these beacons and follow them to their destination. The same would apply to the player. You enter a new system, find a route and follow it to perhaps a heavily populated planet, or a rich asteroid field. Things like that. Another point is what if you sensors become damaged, your computer loses guidance capabilities, and now your lost. You would wish you could spot a flashing light that to help you navigate. It's a thought.

alaska wrote:They would act as a physical waypoint that could be moved or destroyed. Trade ships could follow these routes. I understand our ships will likely have some very sophisticated navigational equipment, but a physical becon you can see and use for a landmark could be beneficial. It could add strategy also. Enemy fleets could pay special attention to these beacons and follow them to their destination. The same would apply to the player. You enter a new system, find a route and follow it to perhaps a heavily populated planet, or a rich asteroid field. Things like that. Another point is what if you sensors become damaged, your computer loses guidance capabilities, and now your lost. You would wish you could spot a flashing light that to help you navigate. It's a thought.
Trade ships would just move from wormhole/jumpgate to wormhole/jumpgate then eventually a station to trade.
"Routes" to rich asteroid fields and such are the jump node things that Josh spoke about a few times in his videos. Similar to X-Rebirth's travel lanes (I can't recall if X3 had them too)
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Anything that makes the game feel "alive" is good. Small ships buzzing around clearing debris from lanes or around stations. Small ships transferring cargo around. Satellites would fall into that category. They could also form part of the mission structure. ie take out satellite 42 orbiting Josh World to bring about a communications blackout.

Philip Coutts wrote:Anything that makes the game feel "alive" is good. Small ships buzzing around clearing debris from lanes or around stations. Small ships transferring cargo around. Satellites would fall into that category. They could also form part of the mission structure. ie take out satellite 42 orbiting Josh World to bring about a communications blackout.
Hopefully it would be more functional than just that.
I despise missions for missions' sake. Satellites would have to have real functionality and not just be props.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Online Now