Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Ultra Wide (21:9) monitor support

I believe so, the game doesn't really need to care about your resolution all that much, and with the level of modding we will have, this will be available within hours of launch if not already in.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Yes indeed, the HUD is fairly similar to a 'responsive layout' website: the elements are all anchored / aligned / justified in ways that make sense at all resolutions (personally I test LT at all types of crazy resolutions, including 960 x 1080 -- LT on the left half of the screen, console on the right half) :P

As I'm sure you're already aware, you're going to get pretty significant perspective distortions near the sides of the screen, but there's not much anyone can do about that until we stop using the hack of 4D projective space to map the rendered world to our screens :ghost:

And as someone else mentioned, the HUD widgets can be moved / resized to your heart's content if you don't like the way the default layout looks at that aspect ratio :thumbup:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Silverware wrote:4D projection?
When did you integrate a new dimsion into rendering?
Been there since the beginning ;) Believe it or not we use 4x4 matrices in 3D graphics. Reason is, matrices can only express linear operators. Perspective projection (the thing that makes objects look smaller at a distance) is very much a nonlinear operator, which sucks because everything else we do is linear. So some smart person way back in the early days of CG realized that we can add an additional dimension to achieve a 3D perspective projection (nonlinear) with a 4D matrix (linear) plus a teensy little division operation (the 'perspective divide'). Using 4x4 also has the benefit of incorporating a 'translation', so that a normal 4x4 matrix can capture both the orientation and the position of an object, which makes the math a good bit easier, whereas a 3x3 matrix can capture only the orientation (scale / rotation).

Yes, just when you thought 3D math was hard, now you realize that when it comes to the low-level rendering, we're actually dealing with 4D :ghost:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Silverware wrote:Now I understand why I have given up on anything lower than Urho3D... :D
Glancing at the featureset, looks like a solid engine to me! I don't recommend going lower :P
Its fun. Give it a toy when you are done with LT.
Might give you ideas :P
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

So, looking at the latest Steam Hardware Survey results, I see that the 2560x1080 resolution is used by 0.3% of respondents.

That's not to say LT shouldn't support as many resolutions as reasonably possible -- I'm glad (but not surprised) to hear the interface has been designed that way. But at 0.3%, 2560x1080 is fairly elite territory. :)

Not that my preferred resolution is much more prominent: I am very surprised to see 1920x1200 at only 1.39% of users, versus a whopping 36.33% running at 1920x1080. :eh: :problem: :think:

What in the world...?

Why are so many Steam gamers -- most of whom, I presume, are PC gamers -- running at a gimped 16:9 console aspect ratio compared to 16:10?

Are 16:9 monitors being sold for pennies compared to 16:10 widescreen monitors? Or are people, for reasons that elude me, actually deliberately choosing to see less of every gameworld than if they ran their 16:10 monitor at a 16:10 aspect ratio?

Informed speculation is welcome!

16:9 gives a wider screen aspect and is much more commonly found on view devices.
So it has gathered the primary adoption.

honestly i have never seen a 16:10 view device in person. (Actually this is 8:5) :P
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

Online Now