Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Real Astronomy

Flatfingers wrote:...
Planets orbit their primary star
Josh has declared this "hard," so I'm not really expecting to be able to do this. On the other hand, he may only think it's hard because of his warp rails... but I have no trouble removing those from my game entirely. (Sorry, Victor! ;) )

Planets rotate
This one will bug me if it's not already going to be in LT. Even in a pocket universe where some mysterious force holds enormously massive spheres immobile in space, how could life as we know it form? With no rotation to evenly heat and cool the whole surface, how could there be colonies anywhere but on the terminator line between permanent night and day hemispheres? Physics as we know it would have to be really freaky for this to work.

While I continue to think that "plausible" is a much better yardstick for assessing gameplay feature ideas than "realistic," these two would go a long way toward satisfying the itch even I feel for comprehensible planetary physics!
As I recall it the moving planets wasn't just a problem because of the warp rails but mostly because of the way the universe is generated. Don't have a source right now though.

I agree on the plausible thing. Black holes aren't much fun if you only find one in a million systems as a black hole. :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Victor Tombs wrote:So how wide eyed and excited will I be when I see the new special effects you are adding to Limit Theory, Josh? :)

Will they be astronomically astounding? I do hope so, it would be such a waste of your graphical talents if they didn't blow one's socks off. :angel:
I have a feeling Josh isn't working on graphics any more Victor. I think he has moved on to finishing the game. Maybe after the game is finished he will work in some graphics along with the stretch goals we will all receive in LT.

BFett wrote:I have a feeling Josh isn't working on graphics any more Victor. I think he has moved on to finishing the game. Maybe after the game is finished he will work in some graphics along with the stretch goals we will all receive in LT.
I can't see Josh releasing the game without applying his special sauces/graphical talents to those important aspects of the first release of the game, BFett. That doesn't sound likely to me. He may have undergone certain changes but he's still the man of graphics. If he isn't working on graphics anymore it just means he's already accomplished what he needed to do... or we will need to wait longer. :)

The look of the first Limit Theory is every bit as important as his ground-breaking work under the hood. :angel:

Personally I don't care for "real" astronomy. As Cornflake and Douglas Adams love to say
Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
What I would definitely like to see is more "Real" space "content" I'd love to see comets that really orbit the stars in grand elliptical orbits, I'd love to see solar wind, solar flares, and CME's, I'd love to see real goldilocks zones for planets around their star, oort clouds, asteroid belts, dwarf planets, moons of all types (Luna, Europa, Ganymede, Iapetus, Mimas, Titan, Phobos), Hot Jupiters whose atmosphere is literally being blown away in a gigantic zone of harvestable gas, tidally-locked eyeball worlds, Protoplanets, rogue planets in the middle of nowhere, Accretion disks that tear stars apart, Binary and Trinary Star Systems, Supernovae that go off while you're in the system and it becomes a mad dash for the wormholes before the whole system is vaporized and wiped off the map, and I'd like to see black holes which not only cause gravity lensing within the system, but actually distort the time progression of the game outside your immediate vicinity.

You can keep your real astronomy, I'll just take the stuff of the universe in concentrated form.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now