Return to “Suggestions”

Real Astronomy

I know this won't be in release, so it's mostly a mod ideas thingy for later reference.
The idea is that it would be fun to make the LT universe "realistic" (for certain values of realism).

Ideas:
* Realistic sizes - the engine can do this, so yay :mrgreen: and planet/asteroid placement to go with that.
Would have to go along with some kind of supercruise mod that ups the power of the cruise drive.

* More planet type thingies - see this thread

* More astronomy phenomena - pulsars, black holes, supernova remnants with dwarf stars, black holes with accretion discs, comets, etc

* Space weather and aurorae :ghost:

* Less nebulae except where there are nebulae (sorry Josh :monkey: )

* Maybe we can get the universe to generate kind of galaxy-like structure as game universe? And maybe we can even get the game to use that general structure formula to generate the skybox?

* ?
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Re: Real Astronomy

I've never been big on the need for realism in a space game like Limit Theory, Dinosawer. It didn't float my boat in the Elite games either. I didn't care if the universe was an accurate representation of perceived reality. I much preferred the imagination of the developer. I understand those who were given an introduction to astronomy by space games such as Elite but it meant little to me. I quite like the galaxy far, far away approach and plenty of handwavium when it comes to the science of the natural phenomena and the laws governing the materials and invented devices. :angel:

:shifty: And me with a science background, go figure! :crazy:

Scientific sacrilege! *chuckle*

Dinosawer wrote:I know, but as far as I know ED isn't singleplayer nor has the universe simulation LT has :ghost:
Please don't, Dinosawer, that subject is still the most painful of all my KS experiences. :cry: It ranks way above the mysterious disappearance of Commander Boz and playboy Chad Baxter.

A game with the physics of Space Engine and the gameplay and moddability of Limit Theory would be impossibly amazing.

As for retrofitting Limit Theory to be more realistic (given pocket universes)... there are a couple of things I'd like to see:

Planets orbit their primary star
Josh has declared this "hard," so I'm not really expecting to be able to do this. On the other hand, he may only think it's hard because of his warp rails... but I have no trouble removing those from my game entirely. (Sorry, Victor! ;) )

Planets rotate
This one will bug me if it's not already going to be in LT. Even in a pocket universe where some mysterious force holds enormously massive spheres immobile in space, how could life as we know it form? With no rotation to evenly heat and cool the whole surface, how could there be colonies anywhere but on the terminator line between permanent night and day hemispheres? Physics as we know it would have to be really freaky for this to work.

While I continue to think that "plausible" is a much better yardstick for assessing gameplay feature ideas than "realistic," these two would go a long way toward satisfying the itch even I feel for comprehensible planetary physics!

:lol: No need to apologize, Flat, I'm fully aware of your hostile views concerning warp rails. You are entitled to your opinions. I'm just pleased Josh shares my love for Freelancer and I still share a similar vision for the game he is making. :D

I wasn't sure at one point that rails would survive the code ripping days but fortunately the coding warrior knows what he wants ... and he wants rails. ;) :angel:

Flatfingers wrote:A game with the physics of Space Engine and the gameplay and moddability of Limit Theory would be impossibly amazing.
Actually, the guy in charge of the project, Vladimir hardtorememberrussianname has stated in an FAQ that Space Engine will be able to be used in other people's commercial projects. :squirrel: :mrgreen:
If someone were making a space game in a game engine like Unity and integrated Space Engine, or just made his own engine and integrated SE into that, then he'd have a whole universe ready to put ships into. :thumbup: Speaking of, there are ships in SE right now. :squirrel:
Also, making a game moddable shouldn't be all that hard. It's just a matter of making the game files accessible by the players and providing them with whatever tools are needed to edit them, right?

--IronDuke

P.S. See if you can spot the one word that gives away my personal dream... :shifty:
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

I'm aware he's said Space Engine could eventually be extended for gameplay. But that's been a while -- longer even than Josh has been working on LT. (Though not as long as Infinity.) In the meantime, LT gameplay (of a sort) has been shown.

I certainly won't object to hooks for gameplay finally appearing in Space Engine. It's just that I think LT might ship before that happens. :lol:

Also, Victor, it's not quite accurate to say that I'm "hostile" to warp rails. That implies an emotional impulse that doesn't exist. I just disagree about their functional value.

That means I don't need them in my game -- especially if they get in the way of planetary orbiting and rotation! -- but it doesn't bother me in the slightest if you or any other player likes them and wants them.

IronDuke wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:A game with the physics of Space Engine and the gameplay and moddability of Limit Theory would be impossibly amazing.
Actually, the guy in charge of the project, Vladimir hardtorememberrussianname has stated in an FAQ that Space Engine will be able to be used in other people's commercial projects. :squirrel: :mrgreen:
If someone were making a space game in a game engine like Unity and integrated Space Engine, or just made his own engine and integrated SE into that, then he'd have a whole universe ready to put ships into. :thumbup: Speaking of, there are ships in SE right now. :squirrel:
Also, making a game moddable shouldn't be all that hard. It's just a matter of making the game files accessible by the players and providing them with whatever tools are needed to edit them, right?

--IronDuke

P.S. See if you can spot the one word that gives away my personal dream... :shifty:
Games can be hard to mod the same way QWOP makes it hard to run. Just because you CAN doesn't mean it's easy enough to be FUN, or that it's plausible to do very advanced things.

Anyone who thinks making a game moddable is easy (or not hard) hasn't built and deployed their own game from scratch.

Flatfingers wrote: Also, Victor, it's not quite accurate to say that I'm "hostile" to warp rails. That implies an emotional impulse that doesn't exist. I just disagree about their functional value.
I have to accept that your views on warp rails are not hostile, Flat, and only manifest as being so (to me) through the view(s) you express concerning their presence in the game. I've seen some extensive mods where they were removed from the original and to be honest it didn't feel like Freelancer anymore. :cry:

I'm not sure what you mean by "functional value". :? We have various transport systems in the UK which give us choice as to how we wish to undertake our journeys. Some prefer fast travel while others choose a less hurried form of getting from A to B. I always prefer games which offer as many options for achieving my goal as possible. :angel:

I do like planets to rotate but I don't need them to travel in orbit in a game like LT. I'm sure Josh will introduce the sort of realism into the game he believes will be fun. Perhaps the omission of certain realities will find their way into the sequels. :)

Online Now