Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Ideas on Simulating the Universe

Cornflakes_91 wrote:((Why do people still buy the 970? It just reinforces nVidia in their decision to lie to their customers >.> ))
:think: In my case, Cornflakes, it's probably due to my less than satisfactory experiences with the competition over the years, or my inexplicable gullibility when it comes to purchasing hardware.

But it's more likely to be something to do with the really good deal I managed to secure with my system builder. ;) :angel:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:((Why do people still buy the 970? It just reinforces nVidia in their decision to lie to their customers >.> ))
They didn't lie, they just bent the truth... Like I do a lot...

Also it's a good card at a reasonable price, and it's not AMD which always gets bonus points due to my history with their cards.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote:
"4 gigabytes of vram connected with a 256 bit memory interface" was promised.
Given was 3.5 gigs with the promised bus width and half a gig thats detrimental to performance if it gets used because of its crap 32bit interface.
And thats not even mentioning the less than promised calculation units (forgot what exactly).

"they announced me a 7 seater with this 6 cylinder whatever ps motor, they delivered a smart with a sidecar.
But thats fine, they only bent the truth a bit"

that is straight up lying to your face and you say that sfine.
Thats stupid in more ways than i can number!

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Black--Snow wrote:
"4 gigabytes of vram connected with a 256 bit memory interface" was promised.
Given was 3.5 gigs with the promised bus width and half a gig thats detrimental to performance if it gets used because of its crap 32bit interface.
And thats not even mentioning the less than promised calculation units (forgot what exactly).

"they announced me a 7 seater with this 6 cylinder whatever ps motor, they delivered a smart with a sidecar.
But thats fine, they only bent the truth a bit"

that is straight up lying to your face and you say that sfine.
Thats stupid in more ways than i can number!
Give me a game that uses 3.6GB of VRAM while not being constricted in terms of FPS due to other specifications. Besides, I bought the card after I knew about the .5gb, so I was getting exactly what I paid for.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote: I was getting exactly what I paid for.
That you knew what you bought doesnt make the whole plot okay.

The whole thing is "yeah, you got us we [sarcasm]promise[/sarcasm] not to do that anymore"

By knowing about the shit that has been going on and still buying from them only confirms their practices.

Confirming the views of their management level that people will buy from them regardless of the crap they are doing.

They will do more crap in that direction, and by buying their stuff despite knowing that they are shitting into your face only makes them do worse.
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think this thread needs another split to keep it focused on universe simulation.

I was very interested in Josh's posts on this topic, since it cleared up quite a bit in my mind.

One immediate conclusion is that no system is ever left "saved to disk" and left static. Equally though, the nature of system simulation far away from the player is not the same as that close to the player. Instead it appears to collapse into a much less granular approach.

A secondary conclusion, which Josh drew attention to, is that player assets are treated differently than NPC assets. (This seems to be one of the first confirmed instances where NPC < Player for LT, which is interesting in of itself.) Josh's answer pre-empted a scenario I was going to lay out for discussion about the player leaving a research hub or production centre (or whatever they're called) doing some work and then charges off on an exploration binge. Once the player gets some arbitrary point away, would the research/production simply stop? Clearly the answer now is no: it continues because the game takes special care of player assets - which I think is definitely the right move, for what it's worth.

One thing that's not clear to me is how performance in mature games with many systems and large empires - including the players' - will be affected. Will there be noticeable slowdown whilst "flying" around, or will it manifest as increasing "load" times as you pass into stations and through wormholes etc.? I think the latter would be much preferable to the former.

Looking back on some of my posts on the simulation topic, I see that Josh's answer potentially allows further discussion of some other topics too: research and whether the game knows the nature of all items and also whether NPCs will be able to cause the game generate more systems.

Interesting stuff.

you cant bend reality, the game cant know all items because it doesnt have generated them all.
the same way it cant know all systems because it has never generated them all, as there are infinitely many.
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
mcsven wrote:f=5&t=2010&p=85194&hilit=simulation#p85063]research and whether the game knows the nature of all items[/url]
you cant bend reality, the game cant know all items because it doesnt have generated them all.
the same way it cant know all systems because it has never generated them all, as there are infinitely many.
Only josh can know the nature of all items in LT, and of all of LT's systems. I believe he created them on day 4 and 5. Then on day 6 he created AI in his own image. Then on the seventh day Josh rested. Now he's back and making another pass at all the days.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:you cant bend reality, the game cant know all items because it doesnt have generated them all.
Anything the game has yet to create will clearly be unknown. Anything the game has already created? That should be no problem, especially since there are no truly "static" systems.

Saint wrote:And I'm just sitting here, with my i5-2320 3.0Ghz and GTX 560 Ti , dreaming of better parts :roll:
HA I know exactly what you mean. I only got a replacement (metabox laptop) 8 months ago for my rig that I built some years ago after the m/b finally blew and socket type was too old.
to make saving the rig worthwhile. I built a "really cool" 570 rig and a 590 for rig for my son (500s were the edge then); who promptly blew his card pushing the overclocking and took possession of my 570.

Having a 560 ti OC for at least 5+ years until 8 months ago . I was thankful for all though many years It served me. It was a great card . (I still got it in the cupboard and it works !)

A GTX980M .or equivalent ...oh would it be so..
The 860M will also last me well. Seems very reliable

hmm .. I can't resist forgive me please and don't shoot me for this self indulgence , I am about to reminisce...

I miss the days when as one of the few distributors of gaming software in the Oceania region ( mostly OS/2 games) and turning over bucket loads voodoo's and voodoo 2s
and enough 3dfx product turnover to bribe journos to review games I distributed and always have cutting edge custom made SLI boards to test releases
..It was a drug trip of a business .. "Drunk Gamer" running a brewery stuff .

But then the OS/2 and Open GL ( Open GLs thankfully back in play now, never liked Direct X coding .. especially the Direct X 2) market imploded in Oz
(and many places around the globe), software shops selling mostly games went bankrupt nationwide in OZ (taking those many heady yum cha lunches with journos,
hosting early LAN games events, introducing the public to what pc games were beyond solitaire and any hope of making money out of games at that time with them).

Oh those were the days... loved my voodoo 2s in SLI .. ahhh :)

NB: Btw, for all you post Win 95 gamers, Stardock Systems (Galciv 3) which it was called then, was an OS/2 only shop but had to finally smell the Windows coffee like us all
Actually, Brad Wardell's Stardock adapted excellently and whilst most of us in the industry just cried and did something else, he kept pushing through and making new game releases..

He's still around writing games and I'm just an old man. (That Xt, Commodore 64's were lying around here somewhere ..omg, I started on zx80 and a PET.. I'm that old)

NEVER GIVE UP Josh !!. We and I need LT ! :) .

Online Now