Return to “Suggestions”

Post

Re: Wing Commander, "Ace" Pilots, and Limit Theory

#16
Ringu wrote: it is totally true that the only occasions I play games with other people are when we're in the same room, or the glorious days of the City of Heroes MMO :-)
I even play E:D in Solo Play...
I'm very rarely in the same room with any other person outside of a select few like minded people who I occasionally meet up with, Ringu. And I've never played a MMO game. The only one which may break my duck is Star Citizen and I'm still on the fence with that. :angel:
Post

Re: Wing Commander, "Ace" Pilots, and Limit Theory

#17
Flatfingers wrote:In the meantime, this idea of allowing newly generated systems to run at a faster clock rate is pretty nice. We believe the basic capability will already exist, as Josh has talked about a kind of accelerated evolution of the universe when starting up a new game... but why couldn't that also be used when creating new star systems to extend a game universe already in progress?

(Actually, now I want "faster/slower clock rate" as one of the aspects of physical reality that can vary between star systems when the "Different Physics" option is selected in the new game Options screen. ;) ) (No, I don't know that any such game option will exist -- it's just one I'd enjoy seeing!)
That's a really nice idea -- as well as having a seed for the Universe, we could also specify an age. It would be fascinating to see the same systems change, to play in them when they're young or when they're a few Billions years older. The only difference would be how many cycles of the ageing loop are run before we start.
Similarly, as you say if different systems or regions have different scales for the clock rate, that would be a relatively easy way to create variations in development/evolution naturally - some systems may be in the stone age while others discover warp drive.
Regarding aces (of whatever kind): is it enough for LT to generate (by whatever means) a few extraordinary NPCs, whose effects are limited to gameplay? Or do they need histories and reasons that we (through our characters) can dig up that tell us how those NPCs became great and why? In other words, how much "story" should LT have to generate for special NPCs?
I would love to have something a bit more than the usual, and if these NPCs are generated by simulation then recording the choices made as data points to be transcribed into the backstory would be absolutely unique, and could be really easy to do.
--
Mind The Gap
Post

Re: Wing Commander, "Ace" Pilots, and Limit Theory

#19
Victor Tombs wrote:I'm very rarely in the same room with any other person outside of a select few like minded people who I occasionally meet up with, Ringu.
We are very similar in this regard, Victor; I don't know about you but for me I just don't trust other people enough.
And I've never played a MMO game. The only one which may break my duck is Star Citizen and I'm still on the fence with that. :angel:
I've played every type of game over the years, but the reason I played CoH was because it was almost entirely co-op and promoted such a strong community feeling it was really unique.
--
Mind The Gap
Post

Re: Wing Commander, "Ace" Pilots, and Limit Theory

#20
DigitalDuck wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:break my duck
Please don't. I'm broken enough. :mrgreen:
I missed this, DigitalDuck. I agree, you don't deserve to be subjected to any more breakage. :angel:
Ringu wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:I'm very rarely in the same room with any other person outside of a select few like minded people who I occasionally meet up with, Ringu.

We are very similar in this regard, Victor; I don't know about you but for me I just don't trust other people enough.
It's more a case of self preservation with me, Ringu. I find it hard to deal with the turmoil of other people's emotions. Forums provide a fairly effective barrier against such emotional onslaughts. :angel:

It's also the main reason why I rarely take part in longwinded forum discussions. I do read what is said though. ;)
Post

Re: Wing Commander, "Ace" Pilots, and Limit Theory

#22
MyNameWuzTaken wrote:Victor, I will express no emotion at all in order to make you more comfortable. I am neutral about this decision. It is simply a logical course, as it is advantageous for the purpose of interaction. I would follow this with an emoticon, but the very name implies an emotion. It would be logical to have a nonemoticon added to the chat tool, in order to better not express emotion.
:lol: I don't mind anyone expressing emotion on the forums, MyNameWuzTaken. :| I have the luxury of retiring immediately from any conversation I feel uncomfortable with. However, being in the same room with others is a different experience for me.

I still burn myself out here and need breaks to recharge my batteries from time to time. As far as the emoticons are concerned I find them to be an indispensable tool nowadays. There should be a whole lot more available. It was Josh, the coding warrior, who introduced me to them. You may have noticed he's quite keen on them himself. :)

Actually, over the years I've made good use of this quirk in my nature. I consider it to be an important and often lucrative part of my skillset. :angel:
Post

Re: Wing Commander, "Ace" Pilots, and Limit Theory

#23
Victor Tombs wrote:
MyNameWuzTaken wrote:Victor, I will express no emotion at all in order to make you more comfortable. I am neutral about this decision. It is simply a logical course, as it is advantageous for the purpose of interaction. I would follow this with an emoticon, but the very name implies an emotion. It would be logical to have a nonemoticon added to the chat tool, in order to better not express emotion.
:lol: I don't mind anyone expressing emotion on the forums, MyNameWuzTaken. :| I have the luxury of retiring immediately from any conversation I feel uncomfortable with. However, being in the same room with others is a different experience for me.

I still burn myself out here and need breaks to recharge my batteries from time to time. As far as the emoticons are concerned I find them to be an indispensable tool nowadays. There should be a whole lot more available. It was Josh, the coding warrior, who introduced me to them. You may have noticed he's quite keen on them himself. :)

Actually, over the years I've made good use of this quirk in my nature. I consider it to be an important and often lucrative part of my skillset. :angel:
You sound like quite the odd person. I'm somewhat similar, but not exactly. I can be in a room with people for hours on end just hanging out but I find it hard to text people. My girlfriend obviously dislikes this because she thinks I find her boring (because she texts me all day everyday, which I don't actually have an issue with). I never get tired of the forums though, at least I haven't yet.
I am literally and wholly in love with myself.
Post

Re: Wing Commander, "Ace" Pilots, and Limit Theory

#24
Whenever I ran across 'ace' pilots, it always felt cheap. Either the AI had an unfair advantage (items with impossible stats or stats not obtainable in the 'real world') or it cheapened the other fighters themselves (the other ships COULD be this good, but they aren't for balance reasons).

If it is possible to have 'aces', it'd be more of a telling sign of how good the fuzzy logic is behind the AI instead.

I'm all for the idea. I would love to stumble across an ace battleship or other capital ship though.
Image
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Post

Re: Wing Commander, "Ace" Pilots, and Limit Theory

#25
DWMagus wrote:Whenever I ran across 'ace' pilots, it always felt cheap. Either the AI had an unfair advantage (items with impossible stats or stats not obtainable in the 'real world') or it cheapened the other fighters themselves (the other ships COULD be this good, but they aren't for balance reasons).
Isn't that realistic, though? And if it is, is that not what you'd look for?
If it is possible to have 'aces', it'd be more of a telling sign of how good the fuzzy logic is behind the AI instead.
I must admit to being unclear on what you mean here :-)
--
Mind The Gap
Post

Re: Wing Commander, "Ace" Pilots, and Limit Theory

#26
Realistic would be the AI's ship and weapons would be purchasable items within the game world. The stats of the ship and the items would be exactly what you the player get when you buy them at the market.

For an AI to be good while not cheating it would have to be able to out think other AI in ways which give it a distinct advantage. This could show up as increased accuracy, with a set of items which complement the AI's play style to the fullest.
Image
Post

Re: Wing Commander, "Ace" Pilots, and Limit Theory

#28
We know that AI powered NPCs (aka = not the dumb ones) play with the same toys as the player. And we sort of know that the intention is that those NPCs will have to do the same things as the player to get results. They must use the scanner to find minerals, not knowing beforehand where they are. They take the same risks on putting contracts in the public boards, not knowing if those contracts will bring max money or money at all. The AI commanders IIRC, are intendt to have similar responses from their minions as the player's. They'll get the same kind of information and have human-like time of response. And, of course, AI pilots will have to cope with energy management, shields adjustments and weapons control to take other NPCs and the player out in a battle. Just like the player. That's the plan. So if there are "aces" out there, they will have neither doomsday ships nor impossible reflexes or accuracy. They'll be simply very good for common standards, but nothing more.
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.
Post

Re: Wing Commander, "Ace" Pilots, and Limit Theory

#30
BFett wrote:Realistic would be the AI's ship and weapons would be purchasable items within the game world. The stats of the ship and the items would be exactly what you the player get when you buy them at the market.
Kinda, sorta, I think: just as an elite gamer will have customised their joysticks for their own use, and real-life pilots customise their aircraft cockpits (the reason why aircraft have specific pilots' names on is because they are setup specifically by the designated pilot), I think Aces will have taken something stock and made modifications that help the way they fly/fight.

It's not so much that they're using unavailable items, more that they've got an unusual load out (if you want to be strict about what you can do), or that they've customised the standard items.
--
Mind The Gap

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron