Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Roaming the planetary surface freely (yes, I know)

Space is "easy"
A few nebula, and some floaty rocks occasionally.

Ground is "hard"
you need heightmaps, cliffs, overhangs, rocks, different terrain types, planets, atmospheres, water, reflection/refraction, buildings, starports, civilian craft, civilians...

Yes I feel Limit Theory could do planetary environments,
yes I feel Josh has the skills to do planetary environments and make them look awesome.

No I do not think he should even consider them until LT 1.0 is out. :D
Let's leave Josh to finishing gameplay, and getting a Game out to us, so he can earn all the money.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Technically they're already in. But they wouldn't be very pretty to look at nor would they serve any game play purpose really. One of the early dev update videos he showed flying around a planets surface but he made very clear that it wasn't going to be a function/feature of the game.

If anyone knows the game Evochron you can kind of think of it in terms of that. That game was a decent space game that had seamless planetary flight, but there was very very very very little to do around planets. It was one of those ooo features that was used to help sell the game but largely didn't serve much function. Now there were also "cities" and bases you could land on which technically Josh could probably do but Evochron had it, and I can tell you from much experience that it is a feature that sounds better than it really is.

jaromor wrote:
Silverware wrote:No I do not think he should even consider them until LT 1.0 is out. :D
Let's leave Josh to finishing gameplay, and getting a Game out to us, so he can earn all the money.
That is exactly what I mean. Finish 1.0, do some patching, take some time off, and maybe then... PLEASE! :)
Post 1.0 we can expect Josh to finish rewriting the universe into LT.
We should be able to see individual baryons if we care to.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020

Silverware wrote:
jaromor wrote:
Silverware wrote:No I do not think he should even consider them until LT 1.0 is out. :D
That is exactly what I mean. Finish 1.0, do some patching, take some time off, and maybe then... PLEASE! :)
Post 1.0 we can expect Josh to finish rewriting the universe into LT.
We should be able to see individual baryons if we care to.
LT... Matrix style. Just wait until someone designs human USB implants. Ohhh yeah!

We can already land on planets. Josh demonstrated this in a video. Why not just mod in something that allows you to fly around on the planet freely?

...Unless, of course, you want to leave your ship. That part is hard. To do that, you'd probably want to make traipsing around stations possible first because they're smaller. The real question is: "Do you want to have the LT simulation of the entire planetary system outside continue as you explore?" If you do, you'll also have to worry about how to handle ships attacking the station you're currently in. (The equivalent of two simulations simultaneously) Kinda like a the EVE/DUST relationship.
We noticed that this thread got a little side-tracked into a conversation about eating spaghetti with a spoon. We do enjoy our fair share of italian food, but please remember to keep discussion on-topic when posting on the forums.

Jazehiah wrote:We can already land on planets. Josh demonstrated this in a video. Why not just mod in something that allows you to fly around on the planet freely?

...Unless, of course, you want to leave your ship. That part is hard. To do that, you'd probably want to make traipsing around stations possible first because they're smaller. The real question is: "Do you want to have the LT simulation of the entire planetary system outside continue as you explore?" If you do, you'll also have to worry about how to handle ships attacking the station you're currently in. (The equivalent of two simulations simultaneously) Kinda like a the EVE/DUST relationship.
That is roaming into the "First person boarding" topic. Although it would be cool, it's probably not something that should be prioritized even if it's implemented.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Black--Snow wrote: That is roaming into the "First person boarding" topic. Although it would be cool, it's probably not something that should be prioritized even if it's implemented.
Only post 1.0
After 1.0 we can do anything we want, as we will be able to mod the game.
Want to shoot tanks out of a cannon that can then attack a base on a planet? Sure!
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°

jaromor wrote:As far as I know it has been said that Limit Theory won't have that. But please, keep that wish somewhere in your mind and reconsider it from time to time.
Looking at how amazing the space looks in LT I am convinced landscapes and terrain features coded by you would be stunning.
I hate to be like this. However that would be a waste of development time.

#1 It is obvious the main reason you want this feature is because you want to explore procedural landscapes. That is something that No Man's Sky will do many times better than what Josh has time to code in.

#2 Planets serve as a source of NPCs which pilot the craft and man the stations in LT. To give any kind of point to planetary exploration. There must be other things you can get or extract from planets. That means those resource lines will have to be balanced into the economy. = Moar dev time.

It just isn't worth it.

I like the idea of all of space being fully flyable. That includes planetary surfaces as well as seamless flight from space to a surface and back again. That's fun from a simulationist perspective.

From a mechanist perspective, that sort of effort is obviously the Wrong Thing because you "have to" fill all that space with active content or it's "wasted time" from the developer.

The mechanist perspective almost always wins. And so it is in this case with Limit Theory:
[color=#CC0000]JoshParnell[/color] wrote:As for flying between points on the planet, the current plan is that once you land on the planet you can select other locations to fade to. You won't see the journey (this would still require a lot more work - it's the difference between static and dynamic terrain), but you don't have to go back to space each time :thumbup:

I want it too guys ;) Someday.

@Flat - Yep, but see the thing is...in this video I have actually only (apparently successfully??) tricked you into thinking that there's a full planet (did you catch that bit near the end where I ran off the edge of the world? ;) ). But in reality there is only a small patch...which is all that's required for a no-free-motion scheme! :D
I'm not complaining; I understand the argument that Josh's time is limited. I've pointed that out myself. This is a necessary simplification in order to get LT finished.

As a matter of general principle, though, it would be nice if the simulationist perspective could win a little more often.

I like that post, Flat, you sum up very nicely how I feel concerning the two perspectives. :thumbup: As a gamer, who is always searching for immersion, I much prefer the perspective of simulation. Hence my need for cockpits and believable docking/landing procedures. I've never liked that fade mechanism much.

:shifty: Although I quite liked all the cutscenes involved in docking/landing in Freelancer, I never found them boring Mr Parnell. It's much better than the fade out and, hey presto, you've arrived.

Of course it's nowhere near as satisfying as having seamless planetary landings but given time I'm sure Josh will get there. :angel:

Seamless planetary landings are very tricky to get right! Infinity can do them but they've been working for years on that engine. Star citizen (from what I've seen) is doing a cut scene of some form. Elite Dangerous, well let's wait and see but I have a feeling there is going to be a "drop" from supercruise into planetary cruise this drop will mask a loading screen and then you will continue on your merry way. I could of course be wrong about that and ED might be seamless, like I say we won't have to wait too long to find out.

The issue is if you want to do walking around on planets surfaces it's a whole pile of extra work to get it to look as beautiful as the rest of LT. It has to be done right or it can look completely out of place. I'm with Victor I love a proper docking sequence (or take off) and I think Elite does this well. I am no big fan of the fade in / out mechanism at all.

Online Now