Return to “Suggestions”

Post

Ability to design and build

#1
Hi everyone... This may be way too much...but I would love to have the in-game ability to design, create, and equip my own ships, space stations, orbital fortifications, and structures on planets... Devs can decide to buy these user-created things to develope the game and/or allow users to sell their creations to other users in the game...thereby allowing players to do a lot of the in-game object development...while giving the players a way to create their very own identity in their ships and in their worlds... That would take a lot...but someone is going to do it some day...

What I like and dislike about the other games... Eve Online: excellent variety of unique ships each with their own strengths and weaknesses, training levels scheme, and equipping scheme...but game engine is falling behind on graphics, point and click without actually flying your craft, spreadsheet GUI, very expensive to play, and too easy to loose your investment being ganked by others... Elite Dangerous: Great cockpit and emersion in actually piloting your craft...but sterile ship designs with no real design or size variety like Eve... Star Citizen: Best graphics...but sterile ship designs like Elite, and it has a similar expensive scheme to Eve...

Hope this one takes what is good on the other ones and does it better... :)
Post

Re: Ability to design and build

#2
StevieJ wrote:Hi everyone... This may be way too much...but I would love to have the in-game ability to design, create, and equip my own ships, space stations, orbital fortifications, and structures on planets... Devs can decide to buy these user-created things to develope the game and/or allow users to sell their creations to other users in the game...thereby allowing players to do a lot of the in-game object development...while giving the players a way to create their very own identity in their ships and in their worlds... That would take a lot...but someone is going to do it some day...

What I like and dislike about the other games... Eve Online: excellent variety of unique ships each with their own strengths and weaknesses, training levels scheme, and equipping scheme...but game engine is falling behind on graphics, point and click without actually flying your craft, spreadsheet GUI, very expensive to play, and too easy to loose your investment being ganked by others... Elite Dangerous: Great cockpit and emersion in actually piloting your craft...but sterile ship designs with no real design or size variety like Eve... Star Citizen: Best graphics...but sterile ship designs like Elite, and it has a similar expensive scheme to Eve...

Hope this one takes what is good on the other ones and does it better... :)
Sometimes I think that people don't really watch the tech demos as hard as they watch the Dev updates. :ghost: :think: :eh: :shh:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!
Post

Re: Ability to design and build

#3
You're right...I didn't see that... Good start... Wondering about curve work with those blocks??? Curves, fine details, and ability to custom paint would be awesome... Could do planetary architecture, space stations, fortifications, etc the same way... I'm a civil engineer and digital fine artist BTW...as well as a big kid who loves space and strategy games... Beta coming out???
Post

Re: Ability to design and build

#4
As you can see from the dev video, we will have shapes that can be stretched. So, it wouldn't be much of a stretch for us to expect polygon shapes which have enough sides to simulate rounded corners.

I wouldn't expect player made ships to be sold online unless that was specifically in the end user agreement. I personally don't see that happening though.
Image
Post

Re: Ability to design and build

#5
StevieJ wrote:ships
yup
StevieJ wrote:space stations, orbital fortifications
yup, and: wheres the difference? :think:
StevieJ wrote:structures on planets
you wont see any of those as there wont be many planetary views
StevieJ wrote:Devs can decide to buy these user-created things to develope the game
why should josh do that?

theres already infinite variation of ships in the game with zero hardcoded assets, what would be the advantage of buying assets from players?

StevieJ wrote: Eve Online [...] is falling behind on graphics
to me it looks beautiful :think:
StevieJ wrote: spreadsheet GUI
what i always wonder when people complain about the spreadsheet GUI:

how to provide the same information EVE does without spreadsheets?

StevieJ wrote:Star Citizen [...] has a similar expensive scheme to Eve...
where?
Post

Re: Ability to design and build

#6
Being able to make an egde node bezier would give you everything you need for curves...and everything you need to build whatever you can imagine... The ships will all have a leggo-ish feel without it... The boolean union and guides are pretty clever way to go... Differentiating face textures like metal and glass...then ability to custom color/paint would be great...

I agree...Eve is beautiful because it is using real space images for backdrops...but the game engine is old and ship rendering is showing it... I'm certainly not the only one noticing that...

Thought a key aspect of this game was expanding to surface of planets... Too bad the surface of planets won't be able to be used to do anything... That too will be coming along in one of these games some day...

I take it Josh is the only developer of this??? I think that would be even more of a reason to use players to help build and populate this game...
Post

Re: Ability to design and build

#7
StevieJ wrote:this game was expanding to surface of planets... Too bad the surface of planets won't be able to be used to do anything...
planets will do something, you just wont be able to see any of the buildings you are placing there ;)

no flying around on planets and only very limited "real" (as in, you see the actual building instead of an UI represenation of it) views of their surface
Post

Re: Ability to design and build

#8
Planet development would certainly give a game aspect that no one else has yet... Could take that even further with allowing people to create real-world markets on their worlds... For example...I'm going on an exploration to Setting Alfa Prime in the friendly Madoryn Empire... I hear the architecture is a site to behold and some artists have some unique works that can be seen there... You could pull out your credit card and actually buy things... Pretty crazy, eh??? I have a feeling these game will eventually be like that...

I have to say my interest in this game lies in the potential to design and build your own ships... I'm the type of person who would spend most of my time enjoying creating unique warships, stations, and architecture... None of the other space games has that aspect yet... Hope Josh expounds upon...because it would bring a lot of people like me to the game... :)
Post

Re: Ability to design and build

#9
StevieJ wrote:Planet development would certainly give a game aspect that no one else has yet... Could take that even further with allowing people to create real-world markets on their worlds... For example...I'm going on an exploration to Setting Alfa Prime in the friendly Madoryn Empire... I hear the architecture is a site to behold and some artists have some unique works that can be seen there... You could pull out your credit card and actually buy things... Pretty crazy, eh??? I have a feeling these game will eventually be like that...
wat?

i have no idea what you are talking about :lol:
Post

Re: Ability to design and build

#10
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
StevieJ wrote:Planet development would certainly give a game aspect that no one else has yet... Could take that even further with allowing people to create real-world markets on their worlds... For example...I'm going on an exploration to Setting Alfa Prime in the friendly Madoryn Empire... I hear the architecture is a site to behold and some artists have some unique works that can be seen there... You could pull out your credit card and actually buy things... Pretty crazy, eh??? I have a feeling these game will eventually be like that...
wat?

i have no idea what you are talking about :lol:
I think he says something about buying property and land on planets...
I'm not sure what the market stuff is about though. :think:
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Image
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz
Post

Re: Ability to design and build

#15
StevieJ wrote:I think he has a good thing going with the ship building...and hope bezier curves and custom colorization gets added to it... My thoughts were that if this aspect of building gets developed, then it could be used to create architecture on planets as well...
Keep in mind that this would probably require planet surfaces to be generated for a whole planet, something that is not planned.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Image
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron