Return to “Suggestions”

Re: NEW RTB update suggestions going forward

Grumblesaur wrote:The use of "going forward" in place of "in the future" has always struck me as a needless coining, and I've found is often used by doublespeaky business types who try to pull the wool over your eyes.
It can also be used to inspire. I mean, "going forwards" sounds better in a speech than "in the future."
Destruction is never precise, Creation is a thought, Time is an illusion, and Chaos and Order are one and the same.

Zero Gravitas wrote:
ramjet wrote:"going forward" suggests actual forward movement.
Yes, it implies forward momentum even if none is in evidence, hence its use by doublespeaky business types.
But it can imply forward momentum if there is evidence or if such things are intended, hence it is used by inspirational leaders.
Destruction is never precise, Creation is a thought, Time is an illusion, and Chaos and Order are one and the same.

Scytale wrote:I think politicians say 'going forward' when they don't want to talk about matters which may hold them accountable, or even just merely incompetent
But good leaders have also said it, so you can go either way. Anyways, this thread is super derailed! Let's get back to the actual topic...

Seryth Nortra wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:It's useful to bear in mind that motion (or "change," for that matter) does not imply progress.
True, but forward motion usually does.
"Usually" is debatable. But that wasn't my point, which was that mere motion doesn't always bring positive results. Sometimes it's just about looking busy.

And going forward off a cliff is not normally seen as progress. ;)

Also, as Scytale rightly points out, I'm pretty sure there was an actual topic around here somewhere....

Online Now