Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Travel INSIDE a Black Hole

Umm... no. No hordes of zombie rabbits. See, it's like this.

As you fall past the event horizon, the force is so intense, and the central point of mass is so small, that the part of you that's closer to the center of the black hole gets pulled faster than the part that's outside.

You turn into spaghetti.

Then it proceeds to rip you limb from limb, and cell from cell, molecule from molecule and finally atom from atom - and even down into smaller bits like protons, neutrons and electrons - until there's nothing left but elementary particles. Then it somehow rips those apart too. No zombie bunnies - they're shredded too. And you haven't even reached the center yet - you're not even anywhere near it.

The center of the black hole does cause our current understanding of physics to break down, but regardless, even if you COULD hold together, there's no way you would be able to stand upright. This isn't 1 G or 5 Gs or 10 Gs we're talking about. For the black hole at the center of the Milky Way, we're talking about something around 1,435,230,000,000 Gs - over a trillion. And that's nothing. There are supermassive black holes out there that way even more - on the order of 12 billion solar masses, or 3,996,000,000,000,000 Gs - that's almost four quadrillion. You're not standing. Neither are the zombie bunnies. If the deceleration from falling off a six-story building can turn you into a thin paste, imagine what that kind of gravity would do to you. And if the insides of the black hole are purple ducks singing Bohemian Rhapsody, I hope you like duck sauce. :P (Actually, you wouldn't even be able to tell they used to be ducks. (assuming you could survive the black hole long enough to check their remains, anyway.))

Regardless, anything that enters a black hole can be safely labeled "KIA". :)
Last edited by Talvieno on Sun May 17, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Re: Travel INSIDE a Black Hole

Talvieno wrote:Umm... no. No hordes of zombie rabbits. See, it's like this.

As you fall past the event horizon, the force is so intense, and the central point of mass is so small, that the part of you that's closer to the center of the black hole gets pulled faster than the part that's outside.

You turn into spaghetti.

Then it proceeds to rip you limb from limb, and cell from cell, molecule from molecule and finally atom from atom - and even down into smaller bits like protons, neutrons and electrons - until there's nothing left but elementary particles. Then it somehow rips those apart too. No zombie bunnies - they're shredded too. And you haven't even reached the center yet - you're not even anywhere near it.

The center of the black hole does cause our current understanding of physics to break down, but regardless, even if you COULD hold together, there's no way you would be able to stand upright. This isn't 1 G or 5 Gs or 10 Gs we're talking about. For the black hole at the center of the Milky Way, we're talking about something on the 1,435,230,000,000 Gs - over a trillion. And that's nothing. There are supermassive black holes out there that way even more - on the order of 12 billion solar masses, or 3,996,000,000,000,000 Gs - that's almost four quadrillion. You're not standing. Neither are the zombie bunnies. If the deceleration from falling off a six-story building can turn you into a thin paste, imagine what that kind of gravity would do to you. And if the insides of the black hole are purple ducks singing Bohemian Rhapsody, I hope you like duck sauce. :P (Actually, you wouldn't even be able to tell they used to be ducks. (assuming you could survive the black hole long enough to check their remains, anyway.))

Regardless, anything that enters a black hole can be safely labeled "KIA". :)
I'm not saying that you could survive the trip (at least, without the technology to use negative energy to warp spacetime), I'm just saying that there is currently no theory that can accurately describe what is at the center of a black hole. So, it is technically possible, though unlikely, that all black holes spontaeously form hordes of zombie rabbits at the center, or that these rabbits come from somehwere... somehow.
What's neat about the center of black holes is that we simply don't know, so for sci-fi writers (that means me), anything goes! (As long as the audience likes it. I don't think that hordes of zombie rabbits would be able to work their way into my book as anything other than a joke without ruining said book.)
Besides, it's possible that those Gs only affect things outside the center. Of course, like I said, anything goes here, so you're right and I'm right. Your theories just make more sense and aren't as fun as purple ducks singing bohemian rhapsody or virus-obsessed fire-breathing artificial Lampreys. :crazy: :shock: :? :angel: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:
Destruction is never precise, Creation is a thought, Time is an illusion, and Chaos and Order are one and the same.

Online Now