Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Self-replicating Robots: Astrochicken, Autowars, and Bey

Charley_Deallus wrote:I want my robot army to be massive...
It could be; you could research something about "mazimum size" or maybe there could be research into making them be able to go for longer without orders. It just wouldn't be very entertaining, for most players, to have an infinite runaway robot army, which is the potential for such a thing.
Destruction is never precise, Creation is a thought, Time is an illusion, and Chaos and Order are one and the same.

The robot army would be limited to a certain number of ships per system because of engine limitations. Currently we know there can be over 128 NPCs in a given system (Update 21 3:20 mark). So, assuming a system is being invaded, that number is going to vary as the attacking force will likely have to be smaller than 128 units in size.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:the problem is right now collision detection and not AI, so changing the AI wouldnt change much
Ah, I see. Huh. Well, no solutions for that at the moment, what with Josh's social media hiatus... Ah well.
Are there any other potential problems that we can come up with potential solutions for? :think: ;)
Destruction is never precise, Creation is a thought, Time is an illusion, and Chaos and Order are one and the same.

I honestly wasn't going to go with a cannon fodder robot army. Originally it would be a small group of robot pirates with a human/NPC commander organizing them. Then I would probably increase quality over quantity but it all depends on if the costs outweigh the gains. If it was more effective to just spam crappy ships with robots piloting them, then I might go that route. I just wanna be a space pirate since the game allows that. Oh and an asteroid base.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote:I honestly wasn't going to go with a cannon fodder robot army. Originally it would be a small group of robot pirates with a human/NPC commander organizing them. Then I would probably increase quality over quantity but it all depends on if the costs outweigh the gains. If it was more effective to just spam crappy ships with robots piloting them, then I might go that route. I just wanna be a space pirate since the game allows that. Oh and an asteroid base.
Well, I guess if you like the idea of a Von Neumann device that is quality over quantity, you could research it; but in that case, having more direct control over production, which will be slower, and attacks, in which you will have less units, might be more practical, rather than having a quality robot army that you don't control directly. (you'll probably have different ideas and tendencies than the AI.) I think with Von Neumanns it's a better idea to have tons of cannon fodder rather than high-quality units, but to each their own; I mean, it's limitless, after all! :)

Lolpingu wrote:YES. I'm all for using robot armies to further your goals.
I mean, if you become rich, why use those unreliable, melodramatic meatbags when you can use obedient, fearless machines to do your bidding instead?
As far as I know, everyone is an obedient, fearless machine; I mean, I don't think that there would be different kinds of AI. The only difference, as far as I can tell, is in the mechanics of war; an autowar would be viral in its spread, while conventional warfare would be slower but probably more practical in some areas. Having swarms of cannon fodder is cheap, but you lose a number of units that way and have to replace them. On the other hand, if you go quality over quantity, the loss of just one unit might be felt.
It boils down to player choice. I'd probably go for a mix.
Looks like you'd want to be the powerful billionaire with a robot army. *cough* The Clone Wars *cough*

Seryth Nortra wrote:
I mean, if you become rich, why use those unreliable, melodramatic meatbags when you can use obedient, fearless machines to do your bidding instead?
As far as I know, everyone is an obedient, fearless machine; I mean, I don't think that there would be different kinds of AI. The only difference, as far as I can tell, is in the mechanics of war; an autowar would be viral in its spread, while conventional warfare would be slower but probably more practical in some areas. Having swarms of cannon fodder is cheap, but you lose a number of units that way and have to replace them. On the other hand, if you go quality over quantity, the loss of just one unit might be felt.
Looks like you'd want to be the powerful billionaire with a robot army. *cough* The Clone Wars *cough*
Well, that depends on whether or not the AI are going to be affected by some sort of morale modifiers that cause them to behave differently based on how they or the group they're associated themselves with have been performing recently.

The idea is, robots would not be affected by any such modifiers.

Also, yes, I find the idea of essentially becoming the CIS to be very appealing.

Lolpingu wrote:
Seryth Nortra wrote:
Well, that depends on whether or not the AI are going to be affected by some sort of morale modifiers that cause them to behave differently based on how they or the group they're associated themselves with have been performing recently.

The idea is, robots would not be affected by any such modifiers.

Also, yes, I find the idea of essentially becoming the CIS to be very appealing.
Yeah, the CIS droid army was awesome!
As for the robots not having morale and stuff, I'm not sure how that's going to play out with "normal" AI. Also, we may then want to have dumber robot AIs to go along with their numbers and lack of Morale. Otherwise, they'd might become too OP.

Seryth Nortra wrote:
There are two kinds of A.I is LT. :ghost:

Executives: can do everything that the player can.

Workers: can only follow orders.
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Seryth Nortra wrote:
Charley_Deallus wrote:I honestly wasn't going to go with a cannon fodder robot army. Originally it would be a small group of robot pirates with a human/NPC commander organizing them. Then I would probably increase quality over quantity but it all depends on if the costs outweigh the gains. If it was more effective to just spam crappy ships with robots piloting them, then I might go that route. I just wanna be a space pirate since the game allows that. Oh and an asteroid base.
Well, I guess if you like the idea of a Von Neumann device that is quality over quantity, you could research it; but in that case, having more direct control over production, which will be slower, and attacks, in which you will have less units, might be more practical, rather than having a quality robot army that you don't control directly. (you'll probably have different ideas and tendencies than the AI.) I think with Von Neumanns it's a better idea to have tons of cannon fodder rather than high-quality units, but to each their own; I mean, it's limitless, after all! :)
Only problem with quantity in LT is that there would be a limit to how many ships could be in a system before things get really rough. So if the enemy has a bunch of quality ships on defense, and I attack with my cannon fodder, I might not be able to overwhelm them completely as much as I would like. I can't remember if there will be a hard limit or not.
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Charley_Deallus wrote:
Seryth Nortra wrote:
Only problem with quantity in LT is that there would be a limit to how many ships could be in a system before things get really rough. So if the enemy has a bunch of quality ships on defense, and I attack with my cannon fodder, I might not be able to overwhelm them completely as much as I would like. I can't remember if there will be a hard limit or not.
That is one problem I can't address, except to say that, in that case, it would not be strategically prudent to use Von Neumanns.

Online Now