Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Weapon Types

Well I understand that :) im not criticising, just want to tell what is on my mind. Hopefully when generation system will evolve it will be able to give some nicy-shiny things as thats one of the game aspect im very interestied in.
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

My hopes is that that there will be a large quanity of some more average weapons in each shop,
but also a section for more random stuff in say their used weapons section for the more rare,
and also more random unique stuff these would be in very limited quantites.
"A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

Shuul wrote:2. As seen from last Josh's develog there can be missile launcher with 75m/s projectile speed. Ist it too slow?
Of course there have to be some limits - especially on bullet speed - to make sure the collisions and phunsics work.
A laser with a 20m/s bullet speed also may not do a lot of good.

Guns with very low bullet speed may actually work. If the shooting ship's (high) speed is added to the bullet speed, a fighter could do a WW2 torpedo bomber impression and lob a hard-hitting projectile at a bigger ship.
Unlike missiles, bullets probably won't be intercepted by point defense turrets. =)

But what "too slow" is? How can you tell? Right now there is no comparison to ship speeds and sizes whatsoever. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Agree, "too slow" thing will be known when balancing will be performed, so i believeJosh will tweak formulas in that time, and its quite a lot of time till then :)

As for "Guns with very low bullet speed may actually work" ist damage should at least somehow depend on projectile speed (i refer to guns like cannons, not lasers). It would be suitable if it will deliver some heavy explosives, not just solid projectile.
I̲̩̳̺̩̫n̵̻̘͚͖̗͎ͅ ͢J̜̬̗̦o̩̘̦̪͕͉ͅs͞h̞͘ ̯̹͈͙w̯̙̥e̱͉ ̬̙̘̭̯̦͕t̹͖͔̖͘r͚̠̰͍͚̹ụ̸̭͍͕̯̹̙s̩͓̼̲̲͉̹t̰.̴͈̖͙̜̲

We will never forget the "Heavenly hundred"
Failures lead to success.

There should be really really slow missiles. But they should probably be called Torpedoes and be mostly anti capital weapons :)

Slow speed + big size + no guidance = Torpedo
Medium speed/size + long range + guidance = Cruise missile

I hope there will be both guided and unguided missiles and various degrees of maneuverability for the ones that are guided allow skilled fighter pilots to outmaneuver some of them.

Shuul wrote:Agree, "too slow" thing will be known when balancing will be performed, so i believeJosh will tweak formulas in that time, and its quite a lot of time till then :)

As for "Guns with very low bullet speed may actually work" ist damage should at least somehow depend on projectile speed (i refer to guns like cannons, not lasers). It would be suitable if it will deliver some heavy explosives, not just solid projectile.
Although I do very much so understand that a ship ISNT a planet. I would like to point out that it has been said by scientists that even a single metal rod jettisoned towards (earth as their model) a planet, that even without any weaponization whatsoever, that just a metal rod alone could do close to if not equal to atomic bomb levels of damage upon impact just from the pull of gravity alone. just wanted to point that out. maybe this idea can be used for planetary destruction in an expansion of LT?
as a 'Dread Lord' view of things.

Citation
However even a fairly large rod, 20 feet long (Tungsten) for example would only have 11 tons (TNT) of energy. Whereas most nukes are measured in megatons. So your example, if using Earth's gravity, isn't correct.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

honostly just my opinion, however, 20 feet being a 'fairly large rod?' I think being us in space, that we should be able to manage a much larger rod, also, as much as anybody knows you could be wrong, or the previous source I heard this from, nobody would be right until tested! In either case I wasn't trying to say that it could do better than a militarized piece. just saying whoa, look at what a piece with no firepower what-so-ever, could do just from gravity alone. I mean in your case, a 20 foot long rod alone causing 11 tons as you said is still amazing, imo. :!:
besides imagine 3 times that size and many of them hurdling towards a planet?

If you want to get into hard SF weapons of mass destruction, any sufficiently advanced type of propulsion device would make a tremendous weapon.

Now, as far as kinetic bombardment goes, the basic idea is that E = m * v² (That's Energy is mass times velocity sqared). The bigger the rock, the better. The faster the rock, the better². Extrapolated, any mass can inflict tremendous kinetic energy if you just accelerate it fast enough. Slap a drive unit on an asteroid and go to town.
Effective? Sure as hell. Crack 'em open and watch them blow.
Cheap? Given sufficiently advanced propulsion technology, sure.
Fun and balanced? Once again, real physics leech the fun out of everything space gamey. Even aiming your tungsten rod of doom from anywhere outside of orbit would require applying orbital mechanics.

One shouldn't necessarily look at physics for inspiration for a space game. Quite honestly, if you check the fiction and stories which inspire our desire for space games are grounded in a completely different paradigm.
Mostly WW2 actually, with spiffier optics.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

tuinces wrote:as much as anybody knows you could be wrong, or the previous source I heard this from, nobody would be right until tested!
Entire fields of physics research acutely explain exactly what would happen in these situations. The full scale physical test isn't necessary, and doing so would incite war.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

I guess these are the perils of joining a conversation with a bunch of folks with (mostly) math, physics or programming backgrounds who all have a keen interest in the practical and theoretical applications of space-based weaponry.

Sorry, tuinces. :wave:
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

tuinces wrote:I never eally expected anyone to take anything like this so far in a gaming environment.. lol so I'm just going to ignore this situation from here on so it doesn't drag on.
You'll get used to it. In the meantime, settle down with the less-technically-inclined folks...like me! :thumbup:
In Josh we trust.

Online Now