Return to “Suggestions”

Exploration limits?

Ok, so as you can probably guess from my number of posts, im pretty new to the forum :wave: i've been stalking the posts and topics and threads and whatever else i could make sense of, and this suggestion/question mixed thing came to my mind. :crazy: so if im wrong on any part please do let me know :)

So, i read that the world is limit less, and my understanding is you can find new systems, stars, planets etc. here's the question part, are these systems and planets inhabited? or are there new to everyone in the world? same with inhabitants are there new materials and things to be discovered?
And here's the suggestion/idea part that came with that question. If im not wrong factions are not so much unlimited, but what if they were? 8-) I mean as you went along exploring some 50 systems away and you encountered a system with new factions/species/worlds (something that would probably happen in RL future *fingers crossed*). and not just new people living exactly like you just in some other part of the world, but new ways of living and faction/market/war/trade/etc systems (i'm still a bit blurry on this part of the idea :shh: )
Re: Exploration limits?

Welcome to the forums!!!! Glad to have you here! :wave: We love newcomers, so make yourself at home.
are these systems and planets inhabited? or are there new to everyone in the world? same with inhabitants are there new materials and things to be discovered?
From what I understand, some are inhabited, and some aren't. :) There are definitely new things to be discovered - new planets to colonize, new wormholes to use, new asteroid fields to claim.
And here's the suggestion/idea part that came with that question. If im not wrong factions are not so much unlimited, but what if they were? 8-) I mean as you went along exploring some 50 systems away and you encountered a system with new factions/species/worlds (something that would probably happen in RL future *fingers crossed*). and not just new people living exactly like you just in some other part of the world, but new ways of living and faction/market/war/trade/etc systems (i'm still a bit blurry on this part of the idea :shh: )
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here - I've never heard of a cap on faction size. :) I think you could definitely come across some massive super-factions in your travels.

Edit: And a ninja by Cornflakes. :thumbup:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

*Quote you all* :D guess i've read wrong or not enough then.

but then again a question here... :eh: if there's going to be endless new things (including factions) isn't it going to be like to much to take in? what i mean is, like you start with 20,50 or whatever number of ores for example and new ones just pop up when finding new places, and that number is like doubled, isn't it going to be a little to much? same thing applies to other things even factions i guess

I'm still lost in my own thoughts so bear with me :P

Mori24 wrote:*Quote you all* :D guess i've read wrong or not enough then.

but then again a question here... :eh: if there's going to be endless new things (including factions) isn't it going to be like to much to take in? what i mean is, like you start with 20,50 or whatever number of ores for example and new ones just pop up when finding new places, and that number is like doubled, isn't it going to be a little to much? same thing applies to other things even factions i guess

I'm still lost in my own thoughts so bear with me :P
I guess you just don't explore the whole universe? :) In other games like Minecraft, you simply don't explore the whole world. There's no real reason to. Just find somewhere you like and settle down.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:I guess you just don't explore the whole universe? In other games like Minecraft, you simply don't explore the whole world. There's no real reason to. Just find somewhere you like and settle down.
I vaguely remember Josh saying something similar, Nathan. It went something like, if you don't appreciate what you find in the sector of the universe you are in then move to another sector. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:I vaguely remember Josh saying something similar, Nathan. It went something like, if you don't appreciate what you find in the sector of the universe you are in then move to another sector. :angel:
Personally I think for the expansionists of us, there will be ample reason to 'explore'. Some might explore just so that they can say they've done it. As well as to sell the information on the open market (assuming information is still a commodity). Then there will be those who might wish to find a resource rich area of space that is largely unexplored and untouched and build an expansive empire there. Though I would imagine that will be relatively difficult to achieve unless you manage to build a super hauler and basically haul everything you need to start the empire within the cargo hold of that one ship. Or have a fleet of haulers moving with you.

Welcome to the forums, Mori24.

There's a theory about the real universe that it's "finite but unbounded." That is, our universe actually does have an edge -- the earliest objects formed after the Big Bang (if there was one) that still exist. But that edge is receding from the universe's origin point while new objects are coalescing. So the effect is that while our universe has an edge (it is finite), it is constantly growing (it's unbounded).

The gameworld data for any game of Limit Theory may work similarly. When a new game starts, and sectors of star systems are pseudorandomly generated, there will be a finite number of star systems existing at any moment in time. But as you explore, new systems will be generated, making the game theoretically unbounded over time.

Limit Theory: finite but unbounded. :)

borowik wrote:there should be no limit of exploration
Practically there isn't. Technically there is. Luckily practical wins over technical here in that there is no practical way you will ever explore everything within your lifetime. You simply do not live long enough.

Online Now