Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Subspace Tech, unification of all forms of travel

Assuming you have a subspace engine that works like a normal rocket engine by propelling a plasma Sub-Up, thus pushing the craft Sub-downwards, you would be able to see a tunneling ship as a glowing dot the color of the plasma engines. The further away from the surface, the dimmer the glowing mote would be.

In other news, we need a way to describe lower in subspace and higher in subspace. In normal 4d stuff for mathmatics, you use ana and kata the same way you would use right or left, up and down. We could also just do sub-up and sub-down or some portmanteau of those. Maybe subwards and supwards?
-Keon-

(I don't have any funny quotes to put here yet. Somebody say something funny.)

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Image
Hrmm... my bad. I hope that you can use the majority of my contribution - it works as sci-fi fluff and can further support your work.
this is where I leave this thread as I do not know what else can be contributed aside from conducting strict real world experiments with the aim of making the devices in reality.

It lay beyond the scope of my armchair for now, but man - I wish...

warning: heavy theorycrafting inbound

what if objects in LT would be slowed by the "medium" which i described on the first page of this thread

it could also be used as a gameplay device.

as to why stations are static regardless of their size (there could be an outpost smaller than a big carrier)

they artificially amplify the drag effect and "anchor" themself in space
this anchor can be retracted at any time, making the station mobile again
(this takes a long time or lot of power or both)

they also offload relatively big parts of their structural stress into subspace, leading to stations having more structural strenght (hitpoints) than ships of comparable size
this also prevents stations that would be too big for the physics engine to handle as mobile objects from remobilizing, they'd fall apart if they did
(so a viable method of destroying a big station would be to unanchor it, a nice pathway for sabotage :twisted: )

the medium could also impart some kind of "activation energy" for movement, which is the cause for asteroids to be static, but for wrecks and stations to be mobile if pushed hard enough.
if we go for full consistency bigger and bigger asteroids could be ever harder to get moving and the biggest ones would be static again.
a small shot to the side of a rock wouldnt send it tumbling away, but if you put your over-engined, powerful tug against a rock and push you can get it going.

i like theorycrafting :3 <3

This is brilliant! absolutely brilliant! I think that the only problem with this very unique system is that some people may not want to have to force themselves to think in four dimensions to keep up; it's a lot of brainpower, especially sense we usually don't think like that. Other that that, like I said, Brilliant! :D :thumbup:
Destruction is never precise, Creation is a thought, Time is an illusion, and Chaos and Order are one and the same.

Flatfingers wrote: Now you just need to unite this idea with how planets and asteroids anchor themselves naturally. ;)
Didnt i do that in the last paragraph? :roll:
:P

Another idea connected to this concept:

subspace mazes

What the lable says, natural or artificial tunnels deep down in subspace which form structures.

May contains dragons :ghost:

The "pressure differential" between the inside and outside of the tunnels keep objects from drifting out of them, so whats inside stays inside (except for the wormhole-like entries/exits)

I think this could make some interesting areas for exploration while leaving the free and open structure of space intact.

Now im getting crazy :ghost:

*rambling*

Maybe as a simplification for collision and representation purposes we could split subspace into discrete "bands" between which one has to explicitly transition.
inside the bands theres a fixed apparent velocity multiplicator compared to normal space.
(Maybe some continuous wiggle room to get some variable to tweak between drives with the same maximum band?)

Transitions between bands are comparatively hard (and dangerous?) So fewer and fewer ships will be able to transition into higher and higher bands unaided.

Some bands could generally be unstable/dangerous to use (eg the bands which provide speeds that would make it necessary to implent truly continous interstellar flight...).
Some areas could also have band stabilities different from the average.
One system could have a few bands more stable than usual, enabling ships that usually cant use those bands to use them and fly faster or with higher precision or not use some bands at all and move slower or with lower precision.
In some areas nothing is much faster than a tug, in some areas the same tug cant even move over useful distances because the bands it uses are highly perturbed.

This would also make for a good way to make carriers/transport ships/expedition ships different from locally fast ships.
A fighter might outrun everything in the bands it can reach, but the expedition carrier uses a higher band and just blazes past the fighter.

(Yes, i read a lot of honor harrington lately. Paint me influenced :ghost: )

the mechanic of unstable bands could also be used for fast travel disruption.
with missiles, mines, field generators that destabilise certain bands of subspace in a range around them.

with enough bands to use in general it would make for a good way to introduce adaption and out-teching your opponents.
one can adapt their drive to use bands the jammer doesnt cover, or if the jammer is covering lots of bands it likely wont have the strength to overpower a narrow-band, high strength drive.
the drawback of the narrow-band drive would be that its completely useless if your opponent has a matched jammer or the bands are naturally disrupted in that area

Cornflakes_91 wrote:*rambling*

Maybe as a simplification for collision and representation purposes we could split subspace into discrete "bands" between which one has to explicitly transition.
inside the bands theres a fixed apparent velocity multiplicator compared to normal space.
(Maybe some continuous wiggle room to get some variable to tweak between drives with the same maximum band?)

Transitions between bands are comparatively hard (and dangerous?) So fewer and fewer ships will be able to transition into higher and higher bands unaided.

Some bands could generally be unstable/dangerous to use (eg the bands which provide speeds that would make it necessary to implent truly continous interstellar flight...).
Some areas could also have band stabilities different from the average.
One system could have a few bands more stable than usual, enabling ships that usually cant use those bands to use them and fly faster or with higher precision or not use some bands at all and move slower or with lower precision.
In some areas nothing is much faster than a tug, in some areas the same tug cant even move over useful distances because the bands it uses are highly perturbed.

This would also make for a good way to make carriers/transport ships/expedition ships different from locally fast ships.
A fighter might outrun everything in the bands it can reach, but the expedition carrier uses a higher band and just blazes past the fighter.

(Yes, i read a lot of honor harrington lately. Paint me influenced :ghost: )
Cornflakes_91 wrote:the mechanic of unstable bands could also be used for fast travel disruption.
with missiles, mines, field generators that destabilise certain bands of subspace in a range around them.

with enough bands to use in general it would make for a good way to introduce adaption and out-teching your opponents.
one can adapt their drive to use bands the jammer doesnt cover, or if the jammer is covering lots of bands it likely wont have the strength to overpower a narrow-band, high strength drive.
the drawback of the narrow-band drive would be that its completely useless if your opponent has a matched jammer or the bands are naturally disrupted in that area
This...is a really interesting concept. Rather difficult to implement, but really cool idea. :think:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Had some crude fun to get the base concept into the most basic of [Spoiler]jokes[/Spoiler] equations.
Definitions:
[A] is radius you ar on in the subspace
[E] is the energy requirement
[v] is the velocity
[v(max)] is the effective maximal velocity on the current radius

[attachment=1]Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170406_2.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=2]Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170406_3.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=3]Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170406_4.jpg[/attachment]

(sorry for abhorred formatting. Only got a phone on me)
[hypes internälly]
Attachments
Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170406_4.jpg
The deeper yo dive (A->0) the higher is your potential maximal effective velocity
Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170406_4.jpg (86.27 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170406_3.jpg
The more energy you spend the closer you get to the maximal velocity (v=1)
Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170406_3.jpg (73.96 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170406_2.jpg
Stating in your radius (A=1) takes no energy. Diving down takes as much energy as diving up.
Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170406_2.jpg (79.53 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

Online Now