Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Small things that would be nice to have

a less "small" thing but this thread is possibly best suited for that.

certain technologies visibly change the apperance of ships if they use the technology.

for example a hull which has core module boni to cruise drives due to a special tech (zorblaxian warp rings) has an externally visible "ring" for [technobabble technobabble field projection] which enchances the efficiency of its engines when its in cruise mode.

or ships with a certain technology to improve sensor capabilities has a characteristic antenna array on the front.

etc.

maybe based on this some "flavour" drones/capsules flying around stations

as personal/civilian taxis or transport capsules around the station, which get retracted as soon as the station comes unter attack.
(purely visual / flair objects)

something similar could be used for visuals on the ground for "streets" or "trains" in colonies.

with vehicles bound to rails and moving around in the colony

A visible "Hull Integrity Below X Percent!" warning that pops up when appropriate along with a reddening of the outer parts of the screen. Static-y effects on the screen when taking damage appearing temporarily. Blackouts and redouts from maneuvers. Damage/Maneuver effects visible from the player's perspective are just cool.
Libertas per Technica

Cornflakes_91 wrote:Some easy to identify notification when ships in sensor range change their energy state.

So that i can easily tell if a ship is charging its weapons, shields, drives etc.

Of course only when my sensors are good enough to tell whats happening.
That idea is great! Perhaps a Sensor of medium quality could only show that something changed the energy state while a better Sensor could show it as a colored ping, red for weapons or something...and if it´s a visible (and perhaps audible) Ping, it would be nice to have some indicator if the source of the signal is behind you...would be easier to locate the enemies :crazy:

Aside from that, I think it would be nice to be able to set specific formations for general movement and battle...so that if your ships are just cruising around, they automatically form a, let´s say for example, a typical chessboard-formation which switches to a V-Formation, once an enemy comes into a set range from the squad-leader.
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

It would be nice to be able to have an interface where we can setup custom flight groups, flight formations, and priority targets for each group. That way anti-fighter ships will prioritize fighters over other battleships and may automatically flee the area if a battleship they are weak against is targeting them.

if multiple objects in the same general direction can obscure each others sensor signals a marker system to use that fact effectively would be useful.

for example the local sun is a strong signature and generally drowns out signatures that are between it and the scanning ship some line/cone from the sun to a selected ship/station would be projected.

so that the player can use the obscuring effect to good use by staying in the cone or in line with the selected objects

IRC log about an action/order queue planner idea

Code: Select all

<+Cornflakes> random idea:  an "action planner"
<+Cornflakes> an editor for action queues
<+Talvieno> ? In LT?
<+Cornflakes> mhm
<+Talvieno> Hmmm... Give me an example.
<+Cornflakes> its an "improved" version of the "shift + click" based queue system that RTS usually use
<+Cornflakes> you have a screen where you arrange all kinds of commands
<+Cornflakes> engage this target, move there, change this energy setting to this
<+Talvieno> ooh
<+Talvieno> I LIKE that idea!
<+Talvieno> Why don't all RTS games have that?
<+Cornflakes> you dont need it for most honestly
<+Cornflakes> shift + click is mostly there and useful
<+Cornflakes> but you dont need very complex orders in starcraft for example
<+Cornflakes> because its far too fast paced
<+Cornflakes> by the time you made your queue the action is over
<+Talvieno> hmm. *nods*
<+Talvieno> Makes sense.
<+Cornflakes> so you have a flowgraph with commands, and /conditionals/
<+Cornflakes> for example wait until condition is met
<+Cornflakes> or depending on condition do this or that
<+Cornflakes> so this could incorporate a tactics system in it as well
<+Cornflakes> and "reinforcement" / signal systems for the player to time things he cant know in advance
<+Cornflakes> (the precise timing)
<+Talvieno> I really like it.
<+Cornflakes> for example when he uses a key combination reinforcements jump in
<+Talvieno> the idea, I mean.
<+Cornflakes> or the carriers launch their fighters
<+Cornflakes> mhm
<+Cornflakes> combined with that /area/ commands would also be useful
<+Cornflakes> maybe just spheres
<+Cornflakes> if (condition in area)  then do(thing in area)
<+Cornflakes> with mining, attack, repairs etc etc in the area
<+Talvieno> It sounds like a really good idea to me.
<+Talvieno> The less micromanaging I have to do, the better.
<+Talvieno> Especially as my favorite part of LT is non-fleet. :P
<+Cornflakes> and now add the "orders as objects" thingy i mentioned a week or two ago :P
<+Cornflakes> so you can save and manage and even share those constructs between ships and people
<+Talvieno> I don't know if it'll be in the final game, but I'd definitely get it as a mod.
<+Talvieno> I think if Josh knew about the idea he'd feel inclined to add it.
<+Cornflakes> im too lazy to rewrite it nice, i'll just paste this log into the "nice things to have" thread?

linky from where i've stolen the Orders as Objects idea :P

BFett wrote:Oh, that's a very nice idea. I'd like to see how you'd display this to the player and allow them to manipulate orders and commands.
+1
the general editor would probably end up being some flow chart like screen.
maybe with some time axis in it for easy synchronising of multiple ships' actions.

Spoiler:      SHOW
quick sketch of what im imagining Image green block being some selection (single ship/station or group [fleet 1, squadron 2, all crusader class ships in fleet 3 etc]

the red/green block being a conditional

the blue block is a "wait for trigger" block that causes the queue to pause until a condition is met, in this case another group arriving at a command
maybe replaceable with dedicated signal/receiver blocks

Without getting too complicated with this, I like the idea of being able to queue up projects. Actually, I'd like a way to be able to tag some projects as "continuous": as long as the required inputs remain available, the project restarts every time it completes.

Either way, I think I'd like to be notified when a project, queued or otherwise, is either completed or blocked from completion.

Beyond that would be adding conditionals. As a very simple example, "If QuantityOnHand(Output_A) < 1000, Queue(Project_A), else Queue(Project_B)".

But while conditional project queueing might be nice to have, it also might be going beyond a "small thing" to implement it.

Online Now